Percent weight and particle size

It's important to measure both in order to get a complete understanding of the composition of a substance.
zmike
Is there a difference between percent weight and percent number? I am working with particle size and I am really confused because I would expect that they would be the same?

eg.
WEIGHT----Number of particles
5---3
2---1
8---1

% weight of 3 would be 3*5/(5*3+2*1+8*1) = 60%?
% number of 3 would be 3/5 = 60%

Is this right? Are they always suppose to be the same? If there's the same then why do we need 2 different measurements??

THANKS!
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
zmike said:
Is there a difference between percent weight and percent number?

Yes there is a difference. What you're calling "percent weight" is the percentage of the total weight contributed by particles of a given type. "Percent number" is the percentage of the total number of particles contributed by particles of a given type. They are measuring two totally different things. In general, they will be different, unless if all types of particles present have the same weight.

zmike said:
I am working with particle size and I am really confused because I would expect that they would be the same?

Why do you expect that they would be the same?

zmike said:
eg.
WEIGHT----Number of particles
5---3
2---1
8---1

% weight of 3 would be 3*5/(5*3+2*1+8*1) = 60%?
% number of 3 would be 3/5 = 60%

Is this right? Are they always suppose to be the same? If there's the same then why do we need 2 different measurements??

THANKS!
thanks

Even in this example you give, particles of the type in the second row (The type that has a particle weight of "2") make up 1/5 = 20% of the total number of particles. But they make up 2/(15 + 2 + 8) = 2/(25) = 8% of the total weight.

The third type of particle makes up 1/5 = 20% of the total number of particles. But they make up 8/25 = 32% of the total weight.

So, as you can see, in general, percentage by number and percentage by weight are NOT the same, and it was only coincidence that they happened to be the same for the first type of particle in this example.

What is percent weight and particle size?

Percent weight and particle size is a scientific measurement used to describe the distribution of particle sizes within a given sample. It is expressed as a percentage of the total weight of the sample.

How is percent weight and particle size determined?

Percent weight and particle size is determined through a process called particle size analysis, where the sample is measured and divided into different size fractions. These fractions are then weighed and the weight percentage of each fraction is calculated.

Why is understanding percent weight and particle size important?

Understanding percent weight and particle size is important in many fields of science, including materials science, environmental science, and pharmaceuticals. It can provide information about the physical and chemical properties of a sample, as well as its potential uses and applications.

What factors can affect percent weight and particle size?

The percent weight and particle size of a sample can be influenced by various factors, such as the method of particle size analysis, the type of sample, and the processing techniques used to obtain the sample.

How can percent weight and particle size be controlled or modified?

Percent weight and particle size can be controlled or modified through various methods, such as grinding, milling, and sieving. These processes can be used to adjust the particle size distribution and achieve a desired percent weight and particle size for a specific application.