1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perfect heat powered engine, my TA says:

1. Dec 4, 2006 #1
    my TA in my physics class told us that if there was a perfect engine powered by heat (100% efficent) then the mechanical energy generated by the engine would be the same as the amount of heat energy used by the engine. Im not sure what he is getting at here, or trying to say by this, but is this even accurate?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is true, if we were able to build a 100% efficient heat engine (which itself is theoretically impossible), then any heat we put into the engine could be used to do work.
  4. Dec 4, 2006 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Following on what Hootenanny said, which is quite correct, I would prefer to say that this statement is not accurate. A perfect heat engine can not be 100% efficient. It can, at most be Th-Tc/Th efficient where Tc and Th are the temperatures that it operates between.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?