Period of Red Planet: Find Average Yearly Period

In summary: This is just a statement of fact. In summary, the blue planet has a period of 1 year and an average distance from the sun of 1.73 x 1011 meters. If the average distance from the sun for the red planet is 1.39 x 1011 meters, the period to the nearest hundredth of a year is 0.002166666667 years.
dalitwil
In the figure the blue planet has a period of 1 year and an average distance from the sun of 1.73 x 1011 meters. If the average distance from the sun for the red planet is 1.39 x 1011 meters, what is its period to the nearest hundredth of a year?

So I thought maybe they through in the information on the blue planet to confuse me, so disregarding that information, I used the formula:

T=(2pi/square root of GM)*r^3/2
where G=6.67e-11 and M is the mass of the sun=2.0e30kg

Unfortunately, this isn't correct, and I don't see where I am supposed to incorporate the information about the blue planet with the red planet.

Attachments

• sol.gif
    sol.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 573
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you are not supposed to use the values for M and G in this problem. Just write the expressions of T for the two planets and eliminate [tex]\sqrt(GM)[/tex].

Kepler's Third Law!

dalitwil said:
In the figure the blue planet has a period of 1 year and an average distance from the sun of 1.73 x 1011 meters. If the average distance from the sun for the red planet is 1.39 x 1011 meters, what is its period to the nearest hundredth of a year?

Did you learn Kepler's Law? All you need is a proportionality.

Right, the period T is proportional to r^3/2 (Kepler's 3rd law), but I am still unsure how to relate the two planets using this concept.

dalitwil said:
Right, the period T is proportional to r^3/2 (Kepler's 3rd law), but I am still unsure how to relate the two planets using this concept.

If

[tex]x^m \propto y^n[/tex]

then, if you have two systems that fit the proportionality:

[tex]\frac{x_1^m}{x_2^m}=\frac{y_1^n}{y_2^n}[/tex]

This applies to all values of m and n.

Proportionality just implies that there is some constant out front. If you have a test case with which to determine that constant, that's all you need.

T^2/a^3=const for all planets orbiting the same massive object.

FAQ: Period of Red Planet: Find Average Yearly Period

What is the "Period of Red Planet: Find Average Yearly Period"?

The "Period of Red Planet: Find Average Yearly Period" is a scientific study that aims to determine the length of a year on the planet Mars.

Why is it important to find the average yearly period of Mars?

Determining the average yearly period of Mars can provide valuable information about the planet's rotation and orbit. This information can help scientists better understand the planet's climate, geology, and potential for life.

How is the average yearly period of Mars calculated?

The average yearly period of Mars is calculated by observing and recording the planet's position in its orbit around the sun over a period of time. This data is then used to calculate the length of a Martian year.

What is the current estimated average yearly period of Mars?

The current estimated average yearly period of Mars is approximately 687 Earth days. This is about 1.88 Earth years.

Has the average yearly period of Mars changed over time?

Yes, the average yearly period of Mars has changed over time. Due to the planet's elliptical orbit, its distance from the sun and its orbital speed can vary, causing slight variations in the length of a Martian year.