1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Period of a planet.

1. Mar 18, 2005 #1
    In the figure the blue planet has a period of 1 year and an average distance from the sun of 1.73 x 1011 meters. If the average distance from the sun for the red planet is 1.39 x 1011 meters, what is its period to the nearest hundredth of a year?

So I thought maybe they through in the information on the blue planet to confuse me, so disregarding that information, I used the formula:

T=(2pi/square root of GM)*r^3/2
    where G=6.67e-11 and M is the mass of the sun=2.0e30kg

Unfortunately, this isn't correct, and I don't see where I am supposed to incorporate the information about the blue planet with the red planet.

Attached Files:

• sol.gif
      File size:
      2.7 KB
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2005 #2
    Maybe you are not supposed to use the values for M and G in this problem. Just write the expressions of T for the two planets and eliminate [tex]\sqrt(GM)[/tex].
  4. Mar 18, 2005 #3
    Kepler's Third Law!!
  5. Mar 18, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you learn Kepler's Law? All you need is a proportionality.
  6. Mar 18, 2005 #5
    Right, the period T is proportional to r^3/2 (Kepler's 3rd law), but I am still unsure how to relate the two planets using this concept.
  7. Mar 18, 2005 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]x^m \propto y^n[/tex]

then, if you have two systems that fit the proportionality:

This applies to all values of m and n.

Proportionality just implies that there is some constant out front. If you have a test case with which to determine that constant, that's all you need.
  8. Mar 18, 2005 #7
    T^2/a^3=const for all planets orbiting the same massive object.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?