Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Period of a planet.

1. Mar 18, 2005 #1
    In the figure the blue planet has a period of 1 year and an average distance from the sun of 1.73 x 1011 meters. If the average distance from the sun for the red planet is 1.39 x 1011 meters, what is its period to the nearest hundredth of a year?

So I thought maybe they through in the information on the blue planet to confuse me, so disregarding that information, I used the formula:

T=(2pi/square root of GM)*r^3/2
    where G=6.67e-11 and M is the mass of the sun=2.0e30kg

Unfortunately, this isn't correct, and I don't see where I am supposed to incorporate the information about the blue planet with the red planet.

Attached Files:

• sol.gif
      sol.gif
      File size:
      2.7 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2005 #2
    Maybe you are not supposed to use the values for M and G in this problem. Just write the expressions of T for the two planets and eliminate [tex]\sqrt(GM)[/tex].

4. Mar 18, 2005 #3
    Kepler's Third Law!!

5. Mar 18, 2005 #4

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you learn Kepler's Law? All you need is a proportionality.

6. Mar 18, 2005 #5
    Right, the period T is proportional to r^3/2 (Kepler's 3rd law), but I am still unsure how to relate the two planets using this concept.

7. Mar 18, 2005 #6

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If

[tex]x^m \propto y^n[/tex]

then, if you have two systems that fit the proportionality:

[tex]\frac{x_1^m}{x_2^m}=\frac{y_1^n}{y_2^n}[/tex]

This applies to all values of m and n.

Proportionality just implies that there is some constant out front. If you have a test case with which to determine that constant, that's all you need.

8. Mar 18, 2005 #7
    T^2/a^3=const for all planets orbiting the same massive object.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook