Deriving the Time Period Equation for a Simple Pendulum

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the equation for the time period of a simple pendulum. The notes given provide hints for the solution, but the correct solution is still unclear. The general solution to the differential equation is given, which includes trigonometric functions. The conversation then discusses how to find the values for the arbitrary constants in the solution using the initial conditions.
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am attempting to derrive the equation for the time period of a simple pendulum, the notes we have been given show some hints to where we should be aiming to get. I have managed to get to
[tex]\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2} + \frac{g}{L}\theta = 0 [/tex]
However, the next line should be
[tex] \theta = \theta_{max} \sin \sqrt{\frac{g}{L}} \theta [/tex]
I've tried intergrating, taking [tex]\theta[/tex] out as a factor and multiplying by [tex] dt^2 [/tex] but cannot get the correct solution. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The general solution to your ODE is

[tex] \theta (t)=A\sin \omega t +B\cos \omega t [/tex],

where [itex] \omega=\sqrt{\frac{g}{L}} [/itex] and the exact form of the coefficients depends on the 2 initial conditions.

Daniel.

I don't unstand why the general solution should contain trig functions are where the [tex]t[/tex] goes.

Last edited:
If anyone has the time could they show me a step by step method?

Hootenanny said:
I don't unstand why the general solution should contain trig functions are where the [tex]t[/tex] goes.
The differential equation indicates you want that the sum of a function and its second derivative to be zero (aside from the g/L factor that can be normalized out). The trig functions sin and cos have exactly this property. You seem to be wanting to derive the solution simply by manipulating the equation. It's not that simple. Welcome to the wonderful world of differential equations.

Hootenanny said:
By studying the differential equation, you will realize that the solution must be a function whose 2nd derivative is proportional (within a constant) to the function itself. Trig functions satisfy that requirement. (This might help a bit: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pend.html#c3)

So where do I go from [tex] \theta (t)=A\sin \omega t +B\cos \omega t [/tex]? Do I just sub it in for theta?

Right! If it works, then how could it be wrong? You will find directly that it works provided [itex] \omega=\sqrt{\frac{g}{L}} [/itex].

Do I have to prove that [tex] \omega=\sqrt{\frac{g}{L}} [/tex] or can I just state it?

Do I just leave the A and B in or do I have to sub something in for them?

Hootenanny said:
Do I have to prove that [tex] \omega=\sqrt{\frac{g}{L}} [/tex] or can I just state it?
Did you actually try the solution? Did you plug it into the differential equation? It will be pretty obvious what happens and why omega MUST satisfy [itex] \omega=\sqrt{\frac{g}{L}} [/itex].

Re A and B, these are just the amplitude. You can equally well write the solution as
[tex] \theta (t)=A\sin (\omega t +\phi) [/tex]
Where A is theta_max and phi is another constant. You can determine the constants by the initial conditions: What is theta at t=0? What is the speed of the bob (Ld theta/dt) at t=0?

Yeah I did, but messed it up and couldn't get it to work. I'm going to try again now.

After manipulating I got [tex]\frac{g}{L}\theta - \omega^2 A\sin (\omega t + \phi ) = 0 [/tex] I think its correct.

Last edited:
Ive got [tex]\frac{g}{L}\theta = \omega^2 A\sin (\omega t + \phi ) [/tex] but i don't know how to now prove that [itex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{g}{L}}[/itex] Help Please.

What is theta equal to? Look at my last equation in Post #12. I don't know how you fail to see the cancellation.

O dear, it's been staring me in the face! I can't believe I missed it! Sorry. Thank's for all you help.

Now I have [tex]\theta = \theta_{max} \sin(\sqrt{\frac{g}{L}} t - \alpha ) [/tex] How Can I remove the [itex]\alpha [/itex] ?

Last edited:
bumping thread

If theta=0 at t=0, then what must alpha be? If theta=theta_max at t=0, then what must alpha be? This is what is meant by "initial conditions". For a second order differential equation like you started with, the general solution will have two arbitrary constants. In your chosen form of the general solution, these are theta_max and alpha. These can be uniquely determined if you know the initial conditions.

Ok thanks very much.

1. What is the time period equation for a simple pendulum?

The time period equation for a simple pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the time period in seconds, L is the length of the pendulum in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared.

2. How is the time period equation derived for a simple pendulum?

The time period equation for a simple pendulum can be derived using the equation for the period of a simple harmonic motion, T = 2π√(m/k), where m is the mass of the pendulum and k is the spring constant. By substituting the equation for the restoring force of a simple pendulum, F = -mg*sin(θ), into the equation for k, k = mg/L, we can derive the time period equation T = 2π√(L/g).

3. What factors affect the time period of a simple pendulum?

The time period of a simple pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum, and the acceleration due to gravity. Increasing the length of the pendulum or decreasing the acceleration due to gravity will result in a longer time period. Increasing the mass of the pendulum will also result in a longer time period.

4. Can the time period equation be used for any type of pendulum?

No, the time period equation is only valid for a simple pendulum, which is defined as a mass suspended from a fixed point by a weightless string. Other types of pendulums, such as physical pendulums or compound pendulums, have different equations for their time periods.

5. Why is the time period of a pendulum independent of its mass?

The time period of a pendulum is independent of its mass because the force of gravity on the mass is directly proportional to its weight, which is cancelled out by the division of mass in the equation for the restoring force. This means that the mass of the pendulum does not affect its time period, only the length and acceleration due to gravity do.