1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Periodic Motion

1. Feb 22, 2008 #1
    ----abs( ) refers to absolute value

The potential energy for a function is given as U = k*abs(x). The motion is not SMH because U is non-differentiable at some point, but is periodic due there being a stable equilibrium. I was asked to come up with a velocity vs. time graph for this...but I dont know how the hell they got it (I dont even know how to derive the sinousidal functions for SMH)...the graph is not a trigonometric function and looks a little like this:

\/\/\/\/\/\/\ Its sort of like a sine function, except with alternating line segments.

The t-axis runs horizontally through the middle and the v-axis runs vertically so that the velocity is 0 at t = 0. How do I get this sort of graph.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2008 #2
    Force is the (negative) derivative of potential with respect to position. So, you'll be able to find acceleration as a function of position. Then, do some chain rule stuff and you should be able to find velocity as a function of time.

edit: oh hey, you're the guy that helped me with my (other) gauss's law post.

edit2: oh wait, that just rederives K = -U.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  4. Feb 23, 2008 #3
    I did what you said with a little bit of calc, but I ended up getting a linear function for velocity. The linear function does, however, portray the velocity function over selective intervals.
    Guess I'll shift the question to something else: How would I mathematically derive the equations for the sinousidal functions of Simple Harmonic Motion?
  5. Feb 23, 2008 #4
    It's easy to find velocity as a function of position, but I'm not sure how to find it as a function of time. But, SHM (for springs) is derived like this:

[tex]F = ma => \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = \frac{-k}{m} x[/tex]

In other words, the second derivative of position is proportional to position. The only functions that satisfy this property are the sine and cosine functions. Solving a second-order differential equation is not simple, so introductory physics books derive it this way.
  6. Feb 23, 2008 #5
    oh....I dont know how to solve for second-order differentials.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?