Permeable membrane and entropy

In summary, Callen is trying to figure out how to derive the entropy equation for a system with two gases. The equation will give the initial energy for the system. Callen is not sure how to proceed from here.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
All below
Relevant Equations
All below
1597528427438.png

Actually i am trying to see what the first equation to the entropy means, maybe N1 remets to the part 1 (the left suppose) of the system? (or the molecules type 1?)

I am not sure about the equations i will do below, probably it will be wrong, anyway.

∂S/∂U1 = 1/T1 = 3NR/2U1
Okay, it will give us U1+U2 = U, this will give us the initial energy.

Now i am not sure what to do now.
Derive with respect to N1? How to separate N1(2) + N2(2)?

Physics news on Phys.org
The trick to this problem is to first show that the starting equation describes an ideal gas mixture of two mono-atomic gases, in terms of the internal energy, the ideal gas law, and the chemical potentials of the two species.

Likes LCSphysicist
LCSphysicist said:
Actually i am trying to see what the first equation to the entropy means, maybe N1 remets to the part 1 (the left suppose) of the system? (or the molecules type 1?)

Callen's notation can be confusing here. When "1" and "2" are used as subscripts, they refer to the type of molecule. When "1" and "2" appear in parentheses in superscripts, they refer to the left or right sides of the container. So, ##N_2^{(1)}## is the number of moles of type-2 molecules in the left side of the container.

∂S/∂U1 = 1/T1 = 3NR/2U1
Okay, it will give us U1+U2 = U, this will give us the initial energy.
Yes

Now i am not sure what to do now.
Derive with respect to N1?
Yes, ##\large \frac{\partial S^{(1)}}{\partial N_1^{(1)}}## will give you ##-\large \frac{\mu_1^{(1)}}{T^{(1)}}## for the left side of the container. Similarly for the right side.

How to separate N1(2) + N2(2)?
I'm not sure what you are asking here. Note that ##N_2^{(1)}## and ##N_2^{(2)}## are constants.

When taking the derivative of ##S^{(1)}## with respect to ##N_1^{(1)}##, keep in mind that ##N^{(1)} = N_1^{(1)} + N_2^{(1)}##.

Likes LCSphysicist
Too bad the two compartments are initially at different temperatures because otherwise this would be a traditional osmosis problem.

What is a permeable membrane?

A permeable membrane is a type of barrier that allows certain substances to pass through while preventing others from crossing. It can be made of various materials such as cell walls, synthetic polymers, or natural materials like skin or plant tissues.

How does a permeable membrane work?

A permeable membrane works through a process known as diffusion. This is the movement of molecules from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration. The membrane allows smaller molecules to pass through while blocking larger ones, thus regulating the flow of substances.

What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the amount of disorder or randomness in a system. In scientific terms, it is a measure of the number of possible arrangements that a system can have. The higher the entropy, the more disordered the system is.

How does entropy relate to permeable membranes?

Permeable membranes play a crucial role in maintaining the balance of entropy in living organisms. They allow for the controlled movement of substances, ensuring that the internal environment of the organism remains stable and organized. Without permeable membranes, entropy would increase, leading to chaos and ultimately, death.

Can entropy be reversed in a system with a permeable membrane?

While entropy is generally thought of as increasing over time, it is possible for a system to decrease in entropy if energy is added to it. In the case of a permeable membrane, energy can be used to actively transport molecules across the barrier, decreasing the overall entropy of the system. However, this process requires an input of energy and cannot occur spontaneously.