Why is Permittivity ε Multiplied and Not Summed?

• Thread starter jeff1evesque
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Permittivity
In summary, the permittivity ε is equal to the product of the relative permittivity (εr) and the permittivity of free space (ε0). This is because the relative permittivity is defined as the ratio of the actual permittivity to the permittivity of free space, resulting in the formula ε = εr * ε0. This can also be seen in Coulomb's law, where the force between two charges is divided by the relative permittivity when the space between the charges is filled with a material other than free space.
jeff1evesque
Statement:
Permittivity ε = ε_{r}ε_{0}. I understand the definitions of each permitivity, where the former is the relative permittivity (of the dielectric), and the latter is of the free space between the plates of the capacitor. But can someone explain to me, why they are multiplied and not summed?My thoughts:
Since a capacitor as a whole has two components of permittivity, namely ε_{r}, ε_{0}, shouldn't the actual permittivity ε = ε_{r} + ε_{0}?Question:
I guess I am trying to picture this capacitor, and I feel like the permittivity components should be added. Could someone enlighten me?Thanks,JL

Physics news on Phys.org
jeff1evesque said:
Statement:
Permittivity ε = ε_{r}ε_{0}. I understand the definitions of each permitivity, where the former is the relative permittivity (of the dielectric), and the latter is of the free space between the plates of the capacitor.

The part in bold. Read that over. εr is the relative permittivity. Relative to what you might ask? Well relative to the permittivity of free space!

What does this result in.

[tex] Relative \ Permittivity = \frac{Actual \ Permittivity}{Permittivity \ of \ Free \ Space}[/tex]

OR using your symbols

[tex] \epsilon_r = \frac{\epsilon}{\epsilon_0} \Rightarrow \epsilon = \epsilon_r \epsilon_0[/tex]

it all lies in what εr was defined to be.

When you define Coulomb's law of electrostatic force between two charges you write
F = 1/4πεo* q1*q2/d^2 when charges are placed in free space.
When the space between the charges filled be some other material, force will decrease by some factor
Now the force is written by F' = 1/4πεoεr* q1*q2/d^2. When you say factor it must be division. So F' = F/εr. εr is always greater than one.

1. Why is permittivity multiplied and not summed?

The mathematical equation for capacitance, C = εA/d, involves the permittivity ε being multiplied by the area A. This is because permittivity is a physical property that describes how easily electric fields can pass through a material, and the larger the area of a capacitor, the more electric field lines can pass through it. Therefore, multiplying ε by A accurately reflects the relationship between the two.

2. Can permittivity be added or subtracted?

No, permittivity cannot be added or subtracted. It is a constant value that is unique to each material and does not change with the size or shape of the capacitor. It can only be multiplied or divided in equations involving capacitance.

3. What is the significance of permittivity in capacitors?

Permittivity plays a crucial role in determining the capacitance of a capacitor. It determines how much charge can be stored on the plates of a capacitor for a given voltage. Higher permittivity materials allow for more charge to be stored, resulting in a higher capacitance value.

4. How does permittivity affect the performance of a capacitor?

The permittivity of a material affects the dielectric strength, breakdown voltage, and energy storage capabilities of a capacitor. Higher permittivity materials can withstand higher voltages and store more energy, making them more suitable for high-performance capacitors.

5. Why do different materials have different permittivity values?

Permittivity is a physical property that is unique to each material. It is determined by the arrangement of atoms and molecules in a material and how easily they can be polarized by an electric field. Different materials have different atomic structures, resulting in different permittivity values.