1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Permittivity ε

1. Jul 16, 2009 #1
    Statement:
    Permittivity ε = ε_{r}ε_{0}. I understand the definitions of each permitivity, where the former is the relative permittivity (of the dielectric), and the latter is of the free space between the plates of the capacitor. But can someone explain to me, why they are multiplied and not summed?

My thoughts:
    Since a capacitor as a whole has two components of permittivity, namely ε_{r}, ε_{0}, shouldn't the actual permittivity ε = ε_{r} + ε_{0}?

Question:
    I guess I am trying to picture this capacitor, and I feel like the permittivity components should be added. Could someone enlighten me?

Thanks,

JL

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

The part in bold. Read that over. εr is the relative permittivity. Relative to what you might ask? Well relative to the permittivity of free space!

What does this result in.

[tex] Relative \ Permittivity = \frac{Actual \ Permittivity}{Permittivity \ of \ Free \ Space}[/tex]

OR using your symbols

[tex] \epsilon_r = \frac{\epsilon}{\epsilon_0} \Rightarrow \epsilon = \epsilon_r \epsilon_0[/tex]

it all lies in what εr was defined to be.

4. Jul 17, 2009 #3

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

When you define Coulomb's law of electrostatic force between two charges you write
    F = 1/4πεo* q1*q2/d^2 when charges are placed in free space.
    When the space between the charges filled be some other material, force will decrease by some factor
    Now the force is written by F' = 1/4πεoεr* q1*q2/d^2. When you say factor it must be division. So F' = F/εr. εr is always greater than one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook