1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Permutation groups

1. Jan 14, 2008 #1
    Hehe, I'm working through the complete groups books right now, so don't think I ask you all my homework questions... I'm doing alot myself too =).

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1) If H is a subgroup of [tex]S_n[/tex], and is not contained in [tex]A_n[/tex], show that precisely half of the elements in H are even permutations
    2) show that for n>3, all elements of [tex]S_n[/tex], can be written as a product of two permutations, each of which has order 2.

3. The attempt at a solution

1) If there is an element x that's not in [tex]A_n[/tex], then x=yz, where either y or z is odd.
    call this element x'. x'=y'z', and either y' or z' is odd again.
    If you continue this process, you eventually have to get back to x, because [tex]S_n[/tex] is finite. If you can show this is when you repeated the process n/2 times, you're done... because the other half are the even ones you encountered when you wrote it as a product every time.

But this is a step I'm having problems with. And I realize this argument has loads of holes in it.

2) I have only a vague clue on this one. I thought I might write the element as a product of disjoint cyclic permutations. Now cyclic permutations are of order 2.

because this is grammatically close to what I want I thought it might help =P, but I really don't know how get from here to the point where you have two elements of order 2.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Cleaning up your argument:
    If [itex]x[/itex] is an odd element of [itex]H[/itex], then you can show that each coset of [itex]<x>[/itex] has the same number of even and odd elements, but you can skip the middleman.

Let's say:
    and [itex]x \in H[/itex] is some odd permutation what can you say about
    relative to [itex]H[/itex]?

For part 2:
    Cyclic permutations aren't of order 2 - but they are all even permutations...
  4. Jan 17, 2008 #3
    1) oh my. I've thought about it for quite some time before I realized. that set is again H, ofcourse. Because odd * odd=odd and odd * even=even, by symmetry it can only be that half the elements are odd. Thanks!

2) cyclic permutations are indeed not of order 2, but are they even? I'm not sure I get this. If you know this yourselves, can you help me a little bit further?
  5. Jan 18, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, I made a mistake -- cyclic permutations can be odd. Cycles of odd length are even.

The order of element of a group [itex]<x>[/itex] is the number of elements in the group that is generated by [itex]x[/itex]. (This group ends up looking like [itex]x^0,x^1...x^n[/itex] if it is finite and [itex]...x^{-1},x^{0},x^1...[/itex] if it is infinite.) For elements of finite order, it is also the smallest exponent so that [itex]x^n[/itex] is the identity.

An even permutation is a permutation that, can be written as the composition of an even number of transpositions. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Even_permutation).

You might consider the following as a warm-up for part 2:
    Show that any cycle of length n can be decomposed into n-1 transpositions.
    Show that any permutation can be written as the product of two permutations that are either the identity or have order 2.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?