Perpendicular component of momemtum?

In summary, The speaker has tried using the formula mv2/r to solve a problem, but it is not correct because the string is not of fixed length. The correct answer also depends on the radius of curvature and elasticity, which are not given until part (e) of the question. The speaker has tried using the length of the string given in part (e), but it did not work.
ohheytai
IVE TRIED EVERYTHING can someone please help me! i have 1 more try i keep getting it wrong i only can get the first one right pleasee help me!

Attachments

• 12332.jpg
    12332.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 368
Physics news on Phys.org
hi ohheytai! :smile:

this is a really unpleasant question :frown:

i see that you've used mv2/r, with r = 3.7 (the length of the string), to get 214.05

that would be correct if the string was of fixed length, but unfortunately it isn't, so the radius of curvature won't be the same as the length of the string

on the basis of the information at the top of the question, i don't think there's any answer, since the answer depends on the radius of curvature, which depends on the elasticity, which you're given no clue about until part (e) (the relaxed length = 3.63m)

have you tried it using that 3.63?​

doesnt work :(

1. What is the definition of perpendicular component of momentum?

The perpendicular component of momentum is the part of an object's momentum that is perpendicular to a given reference direction. It is calculated by taking the dot product of the object's momentum and the unit vector in the perpendicular direction.

2. How is the perpendicular component of momentum related to angular momentum?

The perpendicular component of momentum is a component of the object's total momentum, and it is also directly related to the object's angular momentum. Specifically, the perpendicular component of momentum is equal to the magnitude of the object's angular momentum divided by the distance from the object to the reference point.

3. What is the difference between parallel and perpendicular components of momentum?

The parallel component of momentum is the part of an object's momentum that is parallel to a given reference direction, while the perpendicular component is perpendicular to that direction. The parallel component is calculated by taking the dot product of the object's momentum and the unit vector in the parallel direction.

4. How is the perpendicular component of momentum affected by forces acting on an object?

The perpendicular component of momentum is not affected by forces acting on an object along the reference direction. However, forces acting in perpendicular directions can change the direction of the perpendicular component of momentum, while forces acting in the same direction can change the magnitude of the perpendicular component.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding the perpendicular component of momentum?

Understanding the perpendicular component of momentum is important in fields such as mechanics, physics, and engineering. It is used in analyzing the motion of objects in circular motion, calculating the torque on rotating bodies, and predicting the trajectory of projectiles. It is also applicable in understanding the behavior of fluids, such as in aerodynamics and hydrodynamics.