Perturbations and harmonic oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential function for a diatomic molecule and how to expand it in series to find the ground state energy and wave function using harmonic oscillator principles. It also explores the effects of a perturbation on the ground state energy. The conversation concludes with a summary of the calculations and a clarification on some uncertainties about the variables used.
Sunshine

Homework Statement

In a diatomic molecule with atom masses m1 and m2, the atoms are bound by a potential
[tex]V(r)=V_0\big[ \big(\frac{r_0}r\big)^{12} - 2\big(\frac{r_0}r\big)^{6}\big][/tex]
where r is the distance between the atom centra, r0 is the equilibrium istance, and V0 is a constant depending on the atoms.

1) Expand V(r) in series close to r0 and keep only the term that corresponds to a harmonic oscillator. Find for this case the ground state wave function and the corresponding energy.

2) Keep another term in the series of V(r) that gives a contribution to the ground state energy calculated with first order perturbation theory. Find the new (approximate) energy for this state.

Homework Equations

Wave function for harmonic oscillator, ground state:
[tex]\psi_0(x) = \big(\frac{m \omega}{\pi \hbar}\big)^{1/4} e^{-\frac{m \omega}{2\hbar}x^2}[/tex]

[tex]E_0^1 = <\psi_0^0 | H' |\psi_0^0>[/tex]
where
[tex]E_0^1=[/tex] ground state energy with first order perturbation

[tex]\psi_0^0=[/tex] ground state wave function in unperturbed state

[tex]H'=[/tex] the perturbation

The Attempt at a Solution

Serialize V (I'll drop the ordo-terms):
[tex]V(r)= V(r_0)+V'(r_0)(r-r_0) + \frac 12 V''(r_0) (r-r_0)^2[/tex]
V'(r0)=0 because it's the equilibrium point
V(r0) = constant and can be removed since this doesn't change the force
Conclusion:
[tex]V(r) = \frac 12 V''(r_0) (r-r_0)^2[/tex]
[tex]V''(r_0)=\frac{72}{r_0^2}V_0[/tex]
[tex]V(r) = \frac{36}{r_0^2}V_0 (r-r_0)^2 = \alpha (r-r_0)^2[/tex]
So compared with the harmonic oscillator's
[tex]V(x) = \frac 12 \mu \omega^2x^2[/tex]
I get that
[tex]\alpha = \frac {\mu \omega^2}2 \rightarrow \omega = \frac 6r_0 \sqrt{\frac{2V_0}{\mu}} \rightarrow E=\frac 12 \hbar \omega = 3\hbar \sqrt{\frac{2V_0}{r_0^2 \mu}}[/tex]

So far all good...

The wave function should become
[tex]\psi_0(r) = \big( \frac{6\sqrt{2\mu V_0}}{\pi r_0 \hbar}\big)^{1/4} e^{-\frac{3\sqrt{2\mu V_0}}{r_0 \hbar}r^2}[/tex]
I'm not especially certain about this, becuase of two reasons:
1) the given wave function under 2 is in x, and has been normalized with an integral from -infinity to infinity. As I'm using r, and it's a distance between two atoms, it should be 0 to infinity the get the correct wavefunction.
2) the given wave function is for an oscillator with r0=0. Is it correct to use r in the exponential function or should it be r-r0?

That was for part 1. Second question:
Serialize like before but keep the third order term...
[tex] V'''(r_0) = -\frac{1512}{r_0^3}V_0 [/tex]
[tex] V(r) = \frac{36}{r_0^2}V_0 (r-r_0)^2 - 252\frac{V_0}{r_0^3} (r-r_0)^3[/tex]
Last term will be H' - the perturbation.
[tex]E_0^1 = <\psi_0^0 | H' |\psi_0^0> = -252 \frac{V_0}{r_0^3} \big(\frac{6\sqrt{2\mu V_0}}{\pi r_0 \hbar}\big)^{1/4} \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{- \frac{6\sqrt{2\mu V_0}}{r_0 \hbar}r^2}(r-r_0)^3 dr = 252 V_0 + \frac{63\hbar}{r_0} \sqrt{\frac{V_0}{2\mu}}[/tex]
Once again I'm confused about the integration limits.

And this is definitely not the correct answer. If I would divide the energy from the first question with the perturbed one, I would get a constant term of 21/4 that is way too great to make sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind... I found out where I went wrong.

1. What is a perturbation in a harmonic oscillator?

A perturbation in a harmonic oscillator refers to any external force or disturbance that affects the motion of the oscillator. This can include factors such as friction, air resistance, or applied forces.

2. How does a perturbation affect the motion of a harmonic oscillator?

A perturbation can cause a deviation from the simple harmonic motion of the oscillator. This can result in changes to the amplitude, frequency, or phase of the oscillation.

3. How do scientists study perturbations in a harmonic oscillator?

Scientists use mathematical models and equations, such as the perturbation theory, to analyze the effects of different perturbations on a harmonic oscillator. They also conduct experiments in controlled environments to observe and measure the changes in motion caused by perturbations.

4. Can perturbations be beneficial in a harmonic oscillator?

Yes, perturbations can be beneficial in certain cases. For example, in some systems, small perturbations can help to stabilize the oscillator and prevent it from diverging from its equilibrium position.

5. Can the effects of perturbations be minimized or eliminated in a harmonic oscillator?

While it may not be possible to completely eliminate all perturbations, scientists can use techniques such as damping to reduce the effects of perturbations and maintain a more stable oscillation. Additionally, choosing the right design and materials for the oscillator can also help to minimize the impact of perturbations.