PF5 Problems and Errors

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
I have found something very strange. Note the name of the vanishing set!

1. Chrome - before interpreted
1572220074771.png

2. Chrome - after fully loaded (and interpreted)
1572220301153.png

3. Opera
1572220180421.png

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
I haven't checked it on a "naked" version of chrome, so it might well be due to an add-on.
I use version 78.

But why this specific formula? And why can it still be recovered via the process: mark and show Math as TeX commands? I stumbled upon it by chance and wanted to correct it as I saw it didn't need a correction. And it is reproducible: loaded correctly, interpreted wrongly.

It probably doesn't need fixing, but it's "funny" and / or "annoying" in a way. I would normally say "tell the developers", but as it is worldpress ...
Maybe I should send a note to Google. Not that this would change a lot ...

Tom.G

Science Advisor
Shows here on an old, Ver.43 Firefox.

Tom.G

Science Advisor
That's 4 years old, why not update?
That requires updating Windows version - that requires replaceing printers, scanner, etc, because drivers are not available for newer Windows - then there are some commercial applications that would need replacing; overall a few $,$$$.

Also, much of the customization I've done for convenient workflow and maintenance is not available because current versions have locked down customization to reduce support needs, and for "improved security." For instance printers used to allow specifying custom paper sizes and margins, from what I've found, that is rare these days.

Overall, "It works for me"... most of the time.

Tom.G

Science Advisor
This is one is a bit closer to what happens.

I recently tried to order some Hard Disk Drives from the manufacturer. After each step in the process was filled in, there was a "Continue" button. I got thru the
Model No.
Quantity
Name & Address
Payment Method
Clicking the Continue button after each.

That last one would high-light but do nothing else. Wouldn't even send anything over the Internet. Therefore I couldn't get to Place Order.

I tried this on two computers and 5 browsers, no luck.
I tried their Customer Service and they have no way to order by phone.
I finally grabbed my wife's tablet and placed the order.

I'm not sure whether to call this "Advance to The Rear" or "Progress, Our Most Important By-product". :H

Ordinarily, I would find a different supplier. In this case other sources were 27% higher. And by Creating Account on their site, they took off another 10%.

Oh well.

Cheers,
Tom

Reactions: OCR
Awhile back we removed the base URL for the "Forum" navigation link forcing the drop down every time. Unknown to me this actually messed up our breadcrumb navigation because the root breadcrumb inherits the URL from the "Forum" navigation link. For now, I've restored the link so to get the drop down items you must click the down arrow. I am looking for another solution.

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
If I may suggest three changes for a future version, I'd like to say

• A cancel button in the reply mode which deletes the edit field from the buffer would be great. I often use it if I want to copy something, because +quote does not work as it destroys the MathJax code. Unfortunately this keeps the entire thing in the buffer if I return later. Sometimes I delete the edit box manually, insert ".", and keep it open for a while, just to "delete" this buffer.
  • A navigation path back from the page "Watched threads" to e.g. "Threads with no replies" (1) would be great. Now we have only the general frame, no sub-navigation as on (1).
  • A post-wise "mark read" option in the drop down menu of the "Alert" button would be convenient.