PH comparisons of acidic solutions

• Thread starter aaronfue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, when choosing the solution with the lower pH, it is important to remember the strength of acids and bases. Nitrates are neutral and salts of weak acids are weakly basic, while salts of weak bases are weakly acidic. Transition metals do not have an effect on pH. To determine the solution with the lower pH, one must identify which solutions are neutral, basic, and acidic.
aaronfue

Homework Statement

I'm working on a practice exam and we have a question asking us to choose the solution that has the lower pH (most acidic).

a) 0.1 M NaNO3 or 0.1 M KCH3CO2

b) 0.1 M NH4Br or 0.1 M NClO4

c) 0.1 M Fe(NO3)3 or 0.1 M CaCl2

d) 0.1 M NH3 or 0.1 M NaI

e) 0.1 M NH4CH3CO2 or 0.1 M NaCH3CO22. The attempt at a solution

I've read through some examples we did in class and what I thought it came down to was remembering which were strong and weak acids. I also just read something about transition metals? I thought that transition metals did not have an affect on pH? Or was that something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to figure out which are neutral, bases and acids.
eg nitrates are neutral and and salts of weak acids are (weak) basic
and salts of weak bases are (weak) acidic

What is pH and why is it important in comparing acidic solutions?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It is important in comparing acidic solutions because it allows us to quantify and compare the level of acidity in different solutions.

How is pH measured and what is the pH scale?

pH is measured using a pH meter or pH paper, which detects the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution. The pH scale ranges from 0 to 14, with 0 being the most acidic, 7 being neutral, and 14 being the most basic.

What are the common acidic solutions and their corresponding pH levels?

Some common acidic solutions include lemon juice (pH 2), vinegar (pH 3), and stomach acid (pH 1). The lower the pH level, the more acidic the solution is.

How do you compare the acidity of two solutions with different pH levels?

The solution with the lower pH level is more acidic compared to the solution with the higher pH level. For example, a solution with a pH of 1 is more acidic than a solution with a pH of 4.

Can two solutions with the same pH level have different levels of acidity?

Yes, two solutions with the same pH level may have different levels of acidity if they contain different types and concentrations of acidic substances. For example, a solution with a pH of 3 that contains a higher concentration of acid will be more acidic than a solution with a pH of 3 that contains a lower concentration of acid.