PH/Titration Question

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the pH at the equivalence point for the titration of 0.20 M NH3 with 0.20 M HCl? Kb of ammonia is 1.8e-5

This is just a old test I am going over, I managed to get a pH of 4.98. but that is not right the right answer is 5.12 and I cant figure out why. I would assume you could use the henderson equation but I only get 4.98 which is wrong.

Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Borek

Staff: Mentor

4. Even if I did not use HH equation I am getting the wrong answer.

5. Borek

So show details of your work, hard to say what you did wrong not knowing what you did.

6. k.... using ICE table below:

[​IMG]

7. Borek

Please reread my very first post in this thread. Every word of it.

8. I did and didn not use the HH eq, not do i understand what you mean by dilution.

I also read link, and this is onlything really useful that I understood but still does not explain what I am doing wrong:
    In the case of titration of weak base with strong acid, situation is very similar - pH at the equivalence point is determined by the weak base salt hydrolysis. Thus we need pKa of conjugated acid to calculate H+ and pH. Check lecture and cheat sheet mentioned above for details.

It would be great if you told me what I am doing wrong...

9. Borek

Try here: dilution effects. Generally speaking, you have mixed two solutions, concentrations have changed as the final volume differs from the initial for each reagent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook