Phase Difference between Sinusoidal Waves

So I must have done that anyway. In summary, the phase difference between two wave functions can be expressed as (2n+1)Pi, where n is any positive or negative integer. In this specific problem, at t=2 seconds, the closest x value to the origin for which the two phases differ by \pm\pi is 0.0584 cm. The two phases, y_1 and y_2, can be expressed as y_1=2.00sin(20.0x-32.0t) and y_2=2.00sin(25.0x-40.0t), with units of centimeters and seconds. The phase difference can be calculated by subtracting the
AdkinsJr

Homework Statement

Wave functions:

[tex]y_1=2.00sin(20.0x-32.0t)[/tex]
[tex]y_2=2.00sin(25.0x-40.0t)[/tex]

The units are centimeters and seconds. What is the positive x value closest to the origin for which the two phases differ by [tex]\pm\pi[/tex] at [tex]t=2.00 s[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My understanding is that the phase of [tex]Asin(kx-ωt)[/tex] is [tex]∅=kx-ωt[/tex]

I read a response in this thread too;
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=165354

The phase in y2 is 5/4 the phase in y1 so the difference between the two is [tex]-\frac{1}{4}(20x-32t)[/tex]. Setting this equal to pi and t=2.00 doesn't work (I don't get .0584 cm, the correct answer).

I'm also aware that [tex]y_1+y_2=0[/tex] at this point. My attempts to solve that equation fails:

[tex]y_1=-y_2[/tex]

[tex]sin(20x-32t)=-sin(25x-40t)[/tex]

I tried to do something with this property:
[tex]sin(-u)=-sin(u)[/tex]

[tex]-sin(20x-32t)=sin(32t-20x)[/tex]
[tex]sin(20x-32t)=-sin(32t-20x)[/tex]

I plug that into the [tex]y_1=-y_2[/tex] equation,

[tex]-sin(32t-20x)=-sin(25x-40t)[/tex]

So now [tex]32t-20x=25x-40t \pm 2n\pi[/tex]

[tex]n=1,2,...[/tex]

This doesn't seem to work after pluging in t=2 and solving for x.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The phase of the wave is the angle inside the sine function - you got that part OK:

P=kx-wt

Since the two waves have different frequencies, the phase-difference will change with time, which is why you are given a specific time to consider, t=2s.

P1=20x-64
P2=25x-80

So the phase difference is P2-P1

AdkinsJr said:
so the difference between the two is [tex]-\frac{1}{4}(20x-32t)[/tex]. Setting this equal to pi and t=2.00 doesn't work (I don't get .0584 cm, the correct answer).

Your expression for phase difference isn't quite right.

Actually, there are an infinite number of solutions. So you should set the phase difference to (2n+1)Pi, where n is any +ve or -ve integer.

At t=2, we need to solve -5x +16 = (2n+1)Pi
Try a couple of values of n, to see what the smallest x value turns out to be (in truth, that closest to 0 is what the question is asking).

The fact that you posted the correct answer was very helpful, it allowed me to be confident that I was showing you the correct way. Otherwise, I would not have answered.

How did you get the minus sign in -5x ?

Note: the question only wants the solution for x is closest to 0.

NascentOxygen said:
Your expression for phase difference isn't quite right.

Actually, there are an infinite number of solutions. So you should set the phase difference to (2n+1)Pi, where n is any +ve or -ve integer.

Try a couple of values of n, to see what the smallest x value turns out to be (in truth, that closest to 0 is what the question is asking).

The fact that you posted the correct answer was very helpful, it allowed me to be confident that I was showing you the correct way. Otherwise, I would not have answered.

Ok, I see what my problem was. But first I'll explain the phase difference in terms of x and t is,

[tex]-\frac{1}{4}(20x-32t)[/tex]

This is the same thing you have, it reduces down to [tex]-5x+16[/tex] after setting t=2. I wrote it the other way because I was trying to play with the equations to see which phase had a greater value in radians than the other by writing them with the same coefficients infront of the x and t variables. The phase of y2 is 5/4 the phase of y1. If you subtract, you get either [tex]\pm \frac{1}{4}(20x-32t)[/tex] depending on which phase you place in front. It looks like the negative one works, but I'm not comprehending why it works at the moment.

I was setting this equal to integral mulitples of [tex]2\pi[/tex]. It should be [tex]\pi + 2n\pi[/tex] or [tex](2n+1)\pi[/tex] as you say. It works for n=2, giving x=.0584 cm.

Looking back though, I still don't see how to decide which phase to subtract. Why take [tex](20x-32t)-(25x-40t)[/tex] instead of [tex](25x-40t)-(20x-32t)[/tex]?

AdkinsJr said:
I still don't see how to decide which phase to subtract. Why take [tex](20x-32t)-(25x-40t)[/tex] instead of [tex](25x-40t)-(20x-32t)[/tex]?
I suppose it makes no difference, so flip a coin. But I think I tried both, just to be sure the best x value I got was the closest possible to 0.

What is phase difference between sinusoidal waves?

The phase difference between sinusoidal waves is the measure of how much the two waves are shifted in time relative to each other. It is often represented in degrees or radians and can have a value between 0 and 360 degrees.

How is phase difference calculated?

The phase difference between two sinusoidal waves can be calculated by finding the difference in their phase angles. The phase angle is the angle at which the wave is at a given point in time, measured from the starting point of the wave.

What does a phase difference of 0 degrees mean?

A phase difference of 0 degrees means that the two sinusoidal waves are perfectly aligned and have the same starting point. This indicates that the two waves have the same frequency and amplitude.

What does a phase difference of 180 degrees mean?

A phase difference of 180 degrees means that the two sinusoidal waves are completely out of phase, with one wave starting at the peak of the other wave. This indicates that the two waves have opposite amplitudes and are called antiphase.

How does phase difference affect interference patterns?

The phase difference between two waves can greatly affect their interference patterns. When the phase difference is 0 or a multiple of 360 degrees, the waves are in phase and will constructively interfere, creating a larger amplitude. When the phase difference is 180 degrees, the waves are in antiphase and will destructively interfere, canceling out each other's amplitudes.