Phasor Calculation: Solve -43.62+j20.52

• Thread starter Steve13579
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phasor
In summary, to calculate the phasor notation for -43.62+j20.52, you need to use the equation tan^-1(X/R), which results in -25.19 degrees. However, this answer is 180 degrees off from the correct answer of 154.8 degrees due to the fact that the phasor is in quadrant 2 or 3. Similarly, when dividing a phasor with an angle of 0, you must convert it to a positive angle before performing the division. This is because the first number in phasor notation should always represent the magnitude of the phasor, which is always positive.
Steve13579

Homework Statement

Calculate the phasor notation for -43.62+j20.52
My answer is 180 degrees off and I don't know why you add it in this case. I just want to know how to calculate angle, the magnitude I found fine.

Homework Equations

tan-1(X/R)

The Attempt at a Solution

tan-1(20.52/-43.62) = -25.19 degrees
That's the answer I get but the answer is 180 degrees plus my result above resulting in 154.8 degrees

edit: I'm guessing it may be because it's in quadrant 2 or 3?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you will draw a simple sketch of your phasor, the answer should appear immediately.

Remember, doing a simple arctan calculation on a calculator returns only the principal angle θ such that -π/2 ≤ θ ≤ π/2. You must examine the components of a particular phasor to determine the proper quadrant.

Got it, makes sense! It helped to think of the limitations of my calculator computing arctan with only one value input rather than two if that makes sense...

If you wouldn't mind I came across something that is probably a similar situation.
I have -2∠0°/(0.45-j0.15) which I turned into -2∠0°/0.474∠-18.435° and solved resulting in: -4.22∠18.435°
But apparently you can not do that... the answer is 4.22∠-161.75°
I can get that answer too by writing the polar notation of -2∠0° as -2 and than dividing by 0.45-j0.15. Can I not solve the way I initially tried because of a phase angle of 0? It has no reluctance and only a real resistance of -2, well not really a negative resistance but ya. Is that the reason I can not try what I did? Thanks!

Steve13579 said:
Got it, makes sense! It helped to think of the limitations of my calculator computing arctan with only one value input rather than two if that makes sense...

If you wouldn't mind I came across something that is probably a similar situation.
I have -2∠0°/(0.45-j0.15) which I turned into -2∠0°/0.474∠-18.435° and solved resulting in: -4.22∠18.435°
But apparently you can not do that... the answer is 4.22∠-161.75°
I can get that answer too by writing the polar notation of -2∠0° as -2 and than dividing by 0.45-j0.15. Can I not solve the way I initially tried because of a phase angle of 0? It has no reluctance and only a real resistance of -2, well not really a negative resistance but ya. Is that the reason I can not try what I did? Thanks!

Remember, -2∠0° = 2∠180°

You always want the first number in phasor notation to represent the magnitude of the phasor, hence it is always positive.

Your division problem would then be

(2/0.474)∠(180°-(-18.435°)) = 4.22∠198.435° = 4.22∠-161.55°

I forgot about that.. Thanks so much!

What is a phasor calculation?

A phasor calculation is a method used in electrical engineering and physics to represent the amplitude and phase of an alternating current or signal. It involves converting a sinusoidal wave into a complex number, known as a phasor, which can then be used to perform mathematical operations and analyze the behavior of the wave.

How do you solve a phasor calculation?

To solve a phasor calculation, first convert the given sinusoidal wave into a complex number by taking the real part as the magnitude and the imaginary part as the phase angle. Then, perform the necessary mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, on the phasors to obtain the final result. Finally, convert the complex number back into a sinusoidal wave, if needed.

What does the complex number -43.62+j20.52 represent in a phasor calculation?

In a phasor calculation, the complex number -43.62+j20.52 represents a sinusoidal wave with an amplitude of 43.62 and a phase angle of 20.52 degrees. The negative sign indicates that the wave is in the negative direction along the real axis.

Why is a phasor calculation useful?

A phasor calculation is useful because it simplifies the analysis of sinusoidal waves, making it easier to perform mathematical operations and understand the behavior of the wave. It also allows for the representation of multiple waves as a single complex number, making it easier to compare and analyze different signals.

What are some real-world applications of phasor calculations?

Phasor calculations have a wide range of applications in electrical engineering, including in the design and analysis of electrical circuits, power systems, and electronic devices. They are also used in fields such as telecommunications, audio engineering, and signal processing, where sinusoidal waves are commonly encountered.