Photoelectric effect, h/e ratio

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the experimental value of the h/e ratio and the work function of a metal from a given graph. The slope (h/e value) and y-intercept (work function in eV) are determined, but the calculated work function is incorrect. The conversation also mentions using the equation e = 1.60e-19 C and the frequency of 5 \times 10^{14}\ Hz.
Azndude51

Homework Statement

From the following graph determine the experimental value of the h/e ratio and the work function of the metal. ( 1 Joule = 6.242 x 1018 eV )

https://chip.physics.purdue.edu/protected/Prelab221img/e9pp41.jpg

The work function Wo in eV from the y-intercept of the stopping voltage Vs vs. frequency f graph = ______ eV

I already found the slope (h/e value) to be 3.73e-15 V*s which is correct according to the the online homework.

Homework Equations

I would assume that all I need is e = 1.60e-19 C to get eV from V.

The Attempt at a Solution

The Y-int appears to be around .64 V (I used this value to help get the slope so it should be correct) so I multiply that by e to get 1.02e-19 eV. However, this answer is not correct, what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You read the y intercept off at [tex]5 \times 10^{14}\ Hz[/tex]!

I would like to first commend you on your efforts in finding the correct slope for the h/e value. Your approach is correct in using the value for the elementary charge (e) to convert the slope into units of eV. However, it seems that in your attempt at finding the work function, you may have missed a crucial step.

To find the work function, we need to use the formula:

Wo = hf - φ

Where h is Planck's constant, f is the frequency, and φ is the work function. In this case, we can rearrange the formula to solve for the work function:

φ = hf - Wo

Using the values from the graph, we can plug in the slope (h/e) and the y-intercept (Wo) to solve for the work function:

φ = (3.73e-15 V*s)(5.09 x 10^14 Hz) - 0.64 V

φ = 1.90e-6 eV - 0.64 V

φ = 1.90e-6 eV - 1.02e-19 eV

What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a metal surface when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency. This was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887 and later explained by Albert Einstein in 1905.

What is the h/e ratio?

The h/e ratio, also known as Planck's constant divided by the charge of an electron, is a fundamental constant that describes the relationship between the energy of a photon and the frequency of light. It was first measured by Robert Millikan in 1914 through his famous oil drop experiment.

What is the significance of the photoelectric effect and h/e ratio?

The photoelectric effect and h/e ratio have significant implications in understanding the nature of light and electrons, as well as in the development of modern physics. They also have practical applications in technologies such as solar cells and photomultiplier tubes.

What factors affect the h/e ratio?

The h/e ratio is affected by the type of metal surface, the intensity and frequency of light, and the temperature of the metal. It is also influenced by the work function of the metal, which is the minimum energy required to remove an electron from its surface.

How can the h/e ratio be measured?

The h/e ratio can be measured using various experimental methods, such as the photoelectric effect, Compton scattering, and the quantum Hall effect. These methods involve measuring the energy and frequency of light, as well as the charge and velocity of electrons, to determine the h/e ratio.