How Does Relativistic Speed Affect Photon Wavelength Measurement?

In summary, the Enterprise fired a photon torpedo at a Klingon ship with a relative speed of 0.71c. The wavelength of the light beam as measured by the Enterprise was 616 nm, and using the Doppler shift equation, the wavelength as measured by the Klingon ship is 254 nm. It is important to note that a Photon torpedo is not actually made of photons, but is a casing containing an antimatter charge and propelled by a warp engine.
ivykink

Homework Statement

Spaceship Enterprise fires a photon torpedo at an approaching Klingon ship that has just decloaked. If the wavelength of this light beam as measured on the Enterprise is 616 nm what is the wavelength (in nm) as measured by the Klingon ship if the relative speed between the two space ships is u/c = 0.71?

Homework Equations

As far as I am concerned I have been working with L=Lo√1-u2/c2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am a little confused with the question as I am not exactly sure what is happening, this is what I have been doing L=616nm√1-.712 to get 433.8nm as the observed wavelength of the photon.

Now I am kinda confused with regard to the launching of the photon. It is my understanding that if it is a photon it would be moving at the speed of light toward the klingon ship? I am a little lost with how to approach the problem.
the answer is apparently 254nm.

Thank you for your assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be thinking in terms of Doppler shift rather than length contraction.

(On a side note, what are they teaching in schools these days? Everyone knows that a Photon torpedo is not made of photons, but is a casing containing an antimatter charge and propelled by a small warp engine.)

Thank you Janis :-) I had a feeling is was using the wrong relativity equations.

ps I think they are waiting for us to understand the foundation physics before introducing us to antimatter weapons and light speed travel ;-)

1. What is photon length contraction?

Photon length contraction is a phenomenon in which the length of a photon, or a particle of light, appears to decrease when it is moving at high speeds. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of special relativity, which states that the perceived length of an object changes depending on the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does photon length contraction occur?

According to Einstein's theory of special relativity, the speed of light is constant in all inertial frames of reference. This means that as an object, such as a photon, approaches the speed of light, its perceived length decreases in the direction of motion. This is due to the time dilation and space contraction effects of special relativity.

3. What are the implications of photon length contraction?

The concept of photon length contraction has significant implications in the realm of physics and cosmology. It helps to explain the observed phenomenon of time dilation and the fact that the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative velocity. It also has implications for the study of black holes and the expansion of the universe.

4. Can photon length contraction be observed?

Yes, photon length contraction can be observed in experiments such as the famous Michelson-Morley experiment. This experiment showed that the speed of light is always constant, regardless of the relative motion of the observer. This supports the concept of photon length contraction as a fundamental aspect of special relativity.

5. Is photon length contraction the same as length contraction?

No, photon length contraction is a specific case of length contraction, which is a general phenomenon described by special relativity. Length contraction refers to the perceived contraction of any object's length when observed from a different frame of reference, while photon length contraction specifically refers to the perceived contraction of a photon's length when observed at high speeds.