1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical asymptote

1. Feb 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For example particle performs a motion in x-y plane. In y there are walls from both side so particle can go in y direction from zero to [tex]h[/tex]. I need to plot trajectory. If I got trajectory [tex]y=x^4-x^2[/tex] then
    [tex]\lim_{x\to \infty}y(x)=\infty

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I got trajectory [tex]y=x^4-x^2[/tex] then
    [tex]\lim_{x\to \infty}y(x)=\infty[/tex], but because of the condition I may say that [tex]\lim_{x\to \infty}y(x)=h[/tex]. Maybe then [tex]y=h[/tex] is some natural horisontal asymptote?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2015 #2
    Hi. It's hard to understand what your problem exactly is. Could you clarify it maybe by giving its original statement?
    If you are asked to plot a two-dimensional trajectory parametrized by:
    y = x4–x2,
    Under the constraint: ymax= h,
    Then it gives you a natural constraint on x as well, as a function of h; if you need to plot this you'll have to assign an arbitrary value to h so that you can plot something.
    Now depending on this value, your plot will not always look the same but that's all you can do with the given information...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted