Physical Chemistry water vapor/phases present question?

In summary, at 298.15 K, a container of 23.7 L contains 23.7 g of water with a vapor pressure of 23.76 Torr. The phases present are gas and liquid. At a volume of 594 L, only the gas phase will be present. And at a volume of 0.024 L, only the liquid phase will be present.
qnzbabi91
23.7 g of water is in a container of 23.7 L at 298.15 . The vapor pressure of water at this temperature is 23.76 Torr.
A) What phases are present?
B) At what volume would only the gas phase be present?
C) At what volume would only the liquid phase be present?

A) I know that only the gas and liquid are present.

B) I used RT/(nP) to find the volume and got (0.08314*298)/(23.7/18 * 23.76 * 133.322/10^5) = 594 L

C) I used 0.018* 23.7/18.02 = 0.024 L

Thanks for any help! =]

Physics news on Phys.org
qnzbabi91 said:
23.76 * 133.322/10^5

C) I used 0.018* 23.7/18.02 = 0.024 L

Please elaborate.

Okay, so 23.76 is the P in torr so I converted to Pa by multiplying by 133.322 and then I divided by 10^5 to convert Pa to bar. In my textbook the authors used bar so I thought I should as well.

For the second part, I found the 0.018 Vm of gas in my physical chemistry textbook, so I just multiplied it by the number of moles in question.

I am semi-confused.

[itex]\frac{RT}{nP}[/itex] is an incorrect formula.

And I have no idea what you did in C. However, the only way to have no gas is to have whole volume occupied by liquid.

A) Based on the given information, the phases present in the container are gas and liquid. This is because the container contains water at a temperature where both the gas and liquid phases can exist simultaneously.

B) To calculate the volume at which only the gas phase would be present, we can use the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, where P is the vapor pressure of water, V is the volume, n is the number of moles of water, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature. Rearranging the equation to solve for V, we get V = nRT/P. Plugging in the given values, we get (0.08314*298)/(23.7/18 * 23.76 * 133.322/10^5) = 594 L. Therefore, at a volume of 594 L, only the gas phase of water would be present.

C) To calculate the volume at which only the liquid phase would be present, we can use the equation for the density of water, which is mass/volume. Rearranging the equation to solve for volume, we get volume = mass/density. Plugging in the given values, we get 0.018* 23.7/18.02 = 0.024 L. Therefore, at a volume of 0.024 L, only the liquid phase of water would be present.

1. What is the difference between water vapor and liquid water?

Water vapor is the gaseous form of water, while liquid water is the liquid form. Water vapor is the result of water molecules evaporating from a liquid or solid state, while liquid water is the condensed form of water molecules.

2. How does temperature affect the phases of water present?

Temperature plays a crucial role in determining the phases of water present. At low temperatures, water exists as a solid (ice), at moderate temperatures it exists as liquid water, and at high temperatures it exists as water vapor. The phase present is determined by the balance between the kinetic energy of the water molecules and the intermolecular forces holding them together.

3. Can water exist in all three phases simultaneously?

No, water cannot exist in all three phases simultaneously. The conditions required for each phase are different and cannot coexist at the same time. However, it is possible for two phases to exist together, such as liquid water and water vapor in a closed container.

4. How does pressure affect the phases of water present?

Pressure also plays a role in determining the phases of water present. In a closed system, increasing pressure can cause water molecules to condense from a gas to a liquid state, while decreasing pressure can cause liquid water to evaporate into a gas. However, the effect of pressure on the phases of water is not as significant as temperature.

5. What is the triple point of water and why is it important?

The triple point of water is the temperature and pressure at which all three phases of water (solid, liquid, and gas) coexist in equilibrium. This is important because it is a fundamental point that helps determine the phase diagram of water, which is crucial in many physical and chemical processes involving water.