Physical CPU Circuitry Referencing Memory

In summary, the CPU sends information to memory locations physically by referencing them using bits. The bits symbolize the memory location and are used in the circuitry to send data. To write a byte to a memory location, the circuitry resolves the address and uses timing to access the correct location. This process has become more complex as memory sizes have increased. However, there are resources available to learn more about the specific mechanisms used.
DwithQs
How does a CPU send information to memory locations - physically? I know in software you can reference memory locations. I'd like to know how a CPU references them? I understand that it symbolizes a memory location using bits (00000101 = 5) but - how does that string of bits work in the circuitry to send information to a memory location?

Let's say you want to write a byte 10101010 to a memory location signified by another byte 00001111, how would the circuitry do that?

It would seem severely complicated for a CPU to reference so many memory locations - but CPUs handle that and I don't see how designers could possibly sit and make circuitry to reference billions of bytes. So, I am assuming there is a trick, or simple way of doing it. That's what I would like to know.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It USED to be that the addressing logic really DID address memory in parallel the way you think it is unlikely to, but as memory sizes got larger this got to be a problem, so now it's generally done in a more complex way.

The brute force method just resolved the address to a signal that turned on one row of a LOT of rows of memory, but now the memory is circular and the process involves a combination of address resolution and timing.

You should be able to look all this up somewhere. I'm much too lazy to got into full detail.

What is physical CPU circuitry referencing memory?

Physical CPU circuitry referencing memory is a process in which the central processing unit (CPU) of a computer retrieves data and instructions from the computer's memory in order to carry out tasks and operations.

How does physical CPU circuitry referencing memory work?

The CPU contains a set of registers, or small storage areas, that hold instructions and data. When a program is running, the CPU retrieves instructions and data from the computer's memory and stores them in these registers for processing. This process is known as referencing memory.

What is the purpose of physical CPU circuitry referencing memory?

The purpose of referencing memory is to allow the CPU to access and manipulate data and instructions stored in the computer's memory. This is essential for the functioning of a computer, as it allows the CPU to carry out tasks and operations required by the user or program.

What are the main components involved in physical CPU circuitry referencing memory?

The main components involved in referencing memory are the CPU, memory, and buses. The CPU retrieves data and instructions from the memory through the use of buses, which are pathways that connect the CPU to the memory.

How does physical CPU circuitry referencing memory impact computer performance?

The efficiency and speed of referencing memory can greatly impact computer performance. If the CPU is unable to quickly retrieve data and instructions from memory, it can slow down the overall processing speed of the computer. Therefore, optimizing the physical CPU circuitry can improve the performance of a computer.