Physical meaning of a wave packet w/ respect to HUP&duality

In summary, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that the uncertainty in the position of a particle is proportional to the square of the uncertainty in its momentum.
CentralSand
I'm a QM noob/newb trying to understand the physical implication of a wave packet, in my mind it is something like this:

On the x-axis there is displacement (vibration), probability on the y. I Imagine stretching and compressing the wave packet. When I stretch it out, the amplitude must decrease, as the total area must stay the same? As it stretches further and further it becomes closer to a line (being equally present along the trajectory?). So this equivalent to a constant massive particle speeding up? In reverse as something decreases in momentum, it's wave like character decreases as the wave packet becomes more localized, so it is easier to tell were it actually is. Increase it to infinity (which is of course impossible) and its position becomes completely defined, whist the probability of it being detected outside of its position becomes undefined, so we have no idea where it is going (momentum).
i.e. a normal wave has no position, because it continues to infinity, but we know it will oscillate the same forever. Yet, a wave pulse (packet) has a more specified definition, but it's oscillation changes (it's wave character dissipates), so we don't know how much momentum it really has.

And of course, how does this relate to the momentum of a wave? if the wave packet localizes, won't the wavelength get shorter, increasing momentum, thus being contradictory? Does the de Broglie momentum apply to all matter, and override the simple: p=mv? And p tends to infinity, wavelength tends to zero, so I'm guessing that relates to the constituent waves as producing a wave packet that is more confined means a wider distribution of wavelengths?

Physics news on Phys.org
CentralSand said:
if the wave packet localizes, won't the wavelength get shorter, increasing momentum, thus being contradictory?
Wavelength won't change as long as there is no potential. When the wave packet is localized, what gets smaller is variance in space and what gets bigger is variance in space. However that statement is only valid in static case. As you have known, wavepackets disperse as time evolves (variance in space gets wider) but the momentum distribution stays unchanged, again assuming no potential on the way.

blue_leaf77 said:
what gets smaller is variance in space and what gets bigger is variance in space.

Umm, what?

My understanding of momentum is essentially “how much something is effected when an object hits”, i.e. quantity of motion. Yet I'm actually confused as to whether there is a separate wave function in position representation, to a wave function in momentum representation. Like, what quality of the wave packet effects certainty of momentum and which effects certainty of position? When a wave packet becomes localized that means its position is more certain right? So the momentum must decrease in certainty somehow, which is physically drawn from which change in the wave packet?

CentralSand said:
My understanding of momentum is essentially “how much something is effected when an object hits”, i.e. quantity of motion.

That's not what momentum is. At the deepest level its the conserved quantity associated with spatial symmetry implied by Noethers theorem:
http://www.physics.ucla.edu/~cwp/articles/noether.asg/noether.html

For wave-packets the Wikipedia article is quite good:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_packet

Thanks
Bill

After watching this video: and some ones on noethers theorem (geometric as opposed to algebraic understanding) I think my analogy was quite close, I think my question is ultimately interpretational.

Oh and this one as well:

CentralSand said:
After watching this video

The language its using is misleading - its not what I would call wrong - some are downright wrong - but it is misleading.

You can measure position and momentum to any accuracy you like - perfectly even.

The Heisenberg uncertainly principle is a statistical statement about similarly prepared systems. Take a large number of similarly prepared systems and divide them into two lots. If you measure the position is the first lot you will get an exact answer each time - it may be different for each measurement - but it's an exact answer. The same if you measure the the momentum in the second lot you will get an exact answer each time. But if you compare the standard deviation of the answers in each lot you will find it obeys the Heisenberg Uncertainty relation.

Thanks
Bill

1. What is a wave packet and how does it relate to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle (HUP)?

A wave packet is a localized wave that represents a particle's position and momentum. It is a mathematical construct used to describe the behavior of quantum particles. The HUP states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. This means that as the wave packet becomes more localized, the uncertainty in its momentum increases, and vice versa.

2. How does the wave-particle duality play a role in understanding the physical meaning of a wave packet?

The wave-particle duality is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics that states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This duality is important in understanding the physical meaning of a wave packet because it shows that particles, despite their seemingly distinct nature, can be described by mathematical constructs such as wave packets.

3. Can you provide an example of a physical system that exhibits wave-particle duality and how it relates to the concept of a wave packet?

An example of a physical system that exhibits wave-particle duality is the double-slit experiment. In this experiment, particles (such as electrons) are sent through two slits and exhibit wave-like interference patterns on a screen. This shows that particles can behave like waves, and the wave packet is used to describe this behavior.

4. How does the size of a wave packet affect the uncertainty in a particle's position and momentum?

The size of a wave packet is directly related to the uncertainty in a particle's position and momentum. As the wave packet becomes more localized (smaller size), the uncertainty in the particle's position increases, and the uncertainty in its momentum decreases. This is in accordance with the HUP, which states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we know its momentum and vice versa.

5. How can the concept of a wave packet be applied to real-world situations?

The concept of a wave packet has many applications in various fields, such as quantum physics, optics, and signal processing. In quantum physics, wave packets are used to describe the behavior of particles and to calculate their probabilities of being in a certain location at a given time. In optics, wave packets are used to describe the properties of light, and in signal processing, they are used to analyze and manipulate signals. Additionally, the concept of a wave packet has practical applications in technologies such as MRI scans and lasers.