Earth's Electric & Gravitational Field: Direction, Shape & Height

In summary, Earth has an electric field of 1.0 x 10^2 N/C at its surface directed towards the center. When compared to Earth's gravitational field, the electric field has the same direction and shape, but decreases as height increases whereas the gravitational field remains constant. The largest mass that can be suspended by Earth's electric field is a particle with an elementary charge.
pdaniel

Homework Statement

Earth actually has an electric field of 1.0 x 10^2 N/C at its surface pointing toward the center.
(b) Compare Earth's electric field and gravitational field in terms of
i) direction
ii) shape
iii) how it changes as height increases.

c) What is the largest mass that can be suspended by the electric field of Earth if the particle has the elementary charge on it?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I already did question (a), it was to find the charge on Earth and I got -4.52 x 10^5C

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello PD, welcome to PF :smile: !

What can I do if I want to help you ?

1. What is the difference between Earth's electric and gravitational fields?

Earth's electric field is the result of electric charges on the surface and in the atmosphere, while the gravitational field is the result of the mass of the Earth. The electric field is much weaker than the gravitational field.

2. How does the direction of Earth's electric field change?

The direction of Earth's electric field changes depending on the location and strength of electric charges on the surface and in the atmosphere. It can also be affected by external factors such as solar wind and lightning strikes.

3. What is the shape of Earth's gravitational field?

The shape of Earth's gravitational field is approximately spherical, with a slightly flattened shape at the poles due to the Earth's rotation. This shape is known as an oblate spheroid.

4. How does the height of Earth's electric and gravitational fields vary?

The height of Earth's electric and gravitational fields varies depending on the location and strength of the electric charges and mass distribution on the Earth's surface. Generally, the electric field decreases with height, while the gravitational field decreases with distance from the Earth's surface.

5. How do Earth's electric and gravitational fields affect objects on the surface?

The electric field can have a slight influence on objects with electric charge, but the gravitational field has a much larger effect on objects due to the Earth's mass. Both fields work together to keep objects on the surface and determine the weight of objects on Earth.