Physics 161 Forces Homework: Calc Net Force of 340 kg Rocket Sled

In summary, the problem involves a 340 kg rocket sled being accelerated from rest to 1900 km/h in 2.6 s. The magnitude of the required net force is calculated by converting the speed to m/s, determining the acceleration, and using the formula F=ma. The approximate answer is 68,000 N.
Kawasaki268F

Homework Statement

1. A 340 kg rocket sled can be accelerated at a constant rate from rest to 1900 km/h in 2.6 s. What is the magnitude of the required net force?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. So I tried calculating the acceleration and multiplying it by the mass. For the acceleration I tried dividing 1900km/h by 2.6s and multiplying it by the mass however that did not work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kawasaki268F said:

Homework Statement

1. A 340 kg rocket sled can be accelerated at a constant rate from rest to 1900 km/h in 2.6 s. What is the magnitude of the required net force?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. So I tried calculating the acceleration and multiplying it by the mass. For the acceleration I tried dividing 1900km/h by 2.6s and multiplying it by the mass however that did not work.

This may sound silly, but you did convert the 1900 km/h to m/s didn't you?

Yes sorry I did do that, forgot to mention that above

C268 said:
Yes sorry I did do that, forgot to mention that above

Ok approximating

1900km/h is a little over 500 m/s

A little over 500 in 2.6 must be about 500 in 2.5 seconds so acceleration is around 200 ms-2

F = ma says 200 * 340 so approx 68 000 N

What answer did you get?

PeterO said:
Ok approximating

1900km/h is a little over 500 m/s

A little over 500 in 2.6 must be about 500 in 2.5 seconds so acceleration is around 200 ms-2

F = ma says 200 * 340 so approx 68 000 N

What answer did you get?

Sweet thanks! I just forgot about the squared part on 200m/s

Kawasaki268F said:
Sweet thanks! I just forgot about the squared part on 200m/s

Are you saying the only error you had was in the units of an answer? because none of the numbers in this problem are squared?

Related to Physics 161 Forces Homework: Calc Net Force of 340 kg Rocket Sled

1. What is the formula for calculating net force?

The formula for calculating net force is F_net = ma, where F_net is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

2. How do I find the mass of the rocket sled in kilograms?

The mass of the rocket sled in kilograms can be found by converting its weight in pounds to kilograms using the conversion factor 1 lb = 0.454 kg.

3. What is the acceleration of the rocket sled?

The acceleration of the rocket sled can be calculated using the formula a = F_net/m, where F_net is the net force and m is the mass. Plug in the given values to find the acceleration.

4. Can I use this formula for any object?

Yes, the formula F_net = ma can be used for any object as long as the net force and mass are known. It is a fundamental equation in Newton's Second Law of Motion.

5. How do I know if the net force is positive or negative?

The net force can be positive or negative depending on the direction of the forces acting on the object. If the forces are in the same direction, the net force will be positive. If the forces are in opposite directions, the net force will be negative.