Physics 2 question velocity of electrons and voltages

In summary: So in general, ∆V = -(∆KE)/q0. In this case, ∆KE = Kf - Ki, but q0 is already negative, so the negatives cancel out and ∆V = (Kf - Ki)/q0. In summary, the electron needs to gain a certain amount of kinetic energy to reach the desired velocity. This energy can be provided by a positive potential difference, which can be calculated using the formula ∆V = (Kf - Ki)/q0.
rasanders22
Prob statement:
An electron is to be accelerated from a velocity of 1.00×10^6 m/s to a velocity of 9.90×10^6 m/s . Through what potential difference must the electron pass to accomplish this?

equations:
v=U/q0
1/2mv^2
U=K (this is where I have a question)

Well I already have the answer. But here's how I got it.

Ki=.5(9.11*10^-31)(1*10^6)^2=4.55*10^-19J
Kf=.5(9.11*10^-31)(9.9*10^6)^2=4.45*10^-17J

Vi=Ki/(-1.6*10^-19)=-2.843V
Vf=Kf/(-1.6*10^-19)=-278.125V

V=Vi-Vf=275.282V But the voltage is negative because the electron is flowing against the + to - field (atleast how i explained it to myself)

Well my first question is how does V=U/q0 turn into V=K/q0. I found one example where my instructor used this to determine the voltage but I can't find any reference to it in my book.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what your Vi and Vf business is all about. Basically you want to add a certain amount of KE to what the electron already has (your Ki). So you have a desired ∆KE which is Kf - Ki.

The electron will gain energy falling through a potential difference: ∆KE = -q∆V. Since the required energy gain is positive in this case, and since q is negative, then ∆V should be a positive potential change (the electron should be accelerated by a positive potential).

FAQ: Physics 2 question velocity of electrons and voltages

1. What is the relationship between voltage and electron velocity?

In physics, voltage is defined as the amount of energy required to move a unit of charge through an electric field. On the other hand, electron velocity is the speed at which electrons move through a conductive material. In most cases, an increase in voltage results in an increase in electron velocity.

2. How does the velocity of electrons affect the flow of electricity?

The velocity of electrons plays a crucial role in the flow of electricity. As electrons gain more velocity, they can move through a conductor at a faster rate, resulting in a higher current. This is why higher voltage sources are often used to power devices that require more electricity to operate.

3. Can the velocity of electrons be controlled?

Yes, the velocity of electrons can be controlled by adjusting the voltage in a circuit. By increasing or decreasing the voltage, the speed of electrons can be altered, thereby controlling the flow of electricity. This is the basis of how electronic devices like transistors and diodes work.

4. What is the unit of measurement for electron velocity?

The unit of measurement for electron velocity is meters per second (m/s). This is the standard unit for measuring the speed of any object in motion. In some cases, the velocity of electrons may also be expressed in terms of kilometers per second (km/s) or even miles per hour (mph).

5. How does the velocity of electrons relate to the concept of electrical resistance?

Electrical resistance is a measure of how difficult it is for electrons to flow through a material. The higher the velocity of electrons, the lower the resistance. This is because faster-moving electrons have more energy to overcome the obstacles in their path, resulting in a smoother flow of electricity.

Back