Solving Dynamics Problems with Forces, Work, and Energy

In summary, the easy way to do the two questions is to use the initial speed and kinetic energy to calculate the final kinetic energy.
Pepsi
I have been absent from my physics class for the past week due to an illness, and now am having troubles with some of my workbook questions. There are two in particular which my teacher had told me to know how to do as they would be on my test in the next few days.

the ones he wrote out were... a 25 n force will accelerate a 15kg object over a horizontal and low friction surface from rest to 2.4 m/s in 1.4 s find the work done on the object. and

a 25 n force is applied to a 15kg cart where the force of friction is 8.5N the distance traveled is 16.5 m the cart starts from a dead stop. Determine the carts final velocity using its kinetic energy. any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
a 25 n force will accelerate a 15kg object over a horizontal and low friction surface from rest to 2.4 m/s in 1.4 s find the work done on the object.
There are two ways to do this.
The hard way: You know the force and the mass so you can find the acceleration (F= ma). Once you know that, you know how far the object went in 1.4 s and work= force* distance.

The easy way: You know that the object had initial speed 0 so initial kinetic energy 0. You know the mass and final speed so you can calculate the final kinetic energy- kinetic energy= (1/2)*mass*velocity2. That change in kinetic energy IS the work the force did on the object.

a 25 n force is applied to a 15kg cart where the force of friction is 8.5N the distance traveled is 16.5 m the cart starts from a dead stop. Determine the carts final velocity using its kinetic energy.

You know the applied force and you know the friction force so you can subtract to get the "net" force. You know the distance the force was applied and work equals force times distance so you can calculate the work done on the object. That work is converted into kinetic energy and kinetic energy equals (1/2)*mass*velocity2.

wow thanks a lot, I'm doing the two questions as we speak and having no problems at all. :smile:

just to double check the first question is 43.2 J, and the second 33 m/s?

please confirm or if if I'm wrong tell me.

1. What is "dynamics" in physics?

Dynamics in physics refers to the branch of mechanics that studies the motion of objects and the forces that cause this motion. It involves studying the relationships between forces, mass, and motion, and how they affect the behavior of objects.

2. What are the key concepts in dynamics?

The key concepts in dynamics include force, mass, acceleration, velocity, and momentum. These concepts help us understand how objects move and interact with each other.

3. How does Newton's Laws of Motion relate to dynamics?

Newton's Laws of Motion are fundamental principles in dynamics that explain how forces and motion are related. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law relates force, mass, and acceleration, while the third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

4. What is the difference between statics and dynamics?

Statics deals with the equilibrium and stability of objects at rest, while dynamics deals with the motion of objects and the forces that cause this motion. In other words, statics deals with objects that are not moving, while dynamics deals with objects that are in motion.

5. How is the study of dynamics useful in real life?

The study of dynamics is useful in various real-life applications, such as designing structures and machines, understanding the motion of vehicles, predicting the behavior of objects in different environments, and developing new technologies. It also helps us understand the world around us and how things move and interact with each other.