How Does Tightening a Guitar String Affect Beat Frequency?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics assignment question involving a tuning fork and a vibrating guitar string. The beat frequency is initially 3 Hz, but decreases to 2 Hz when the guitar string is tightened. The individual seeking help is advised to check their previous post and not to double post problems.
J03
[SOLVED] Physics Assignment Question Help!

I've talked to numerous people who can not figure out this question, so if anyone has any ideas on how to do this question please help me!:confused:

A tuning fork is struck and held next to a vibrating guitar string, and beats of frequency 3 Hz are heard. The guitar string is tightened slightly, and the beat frequency decreases to 2 Hz. What is the new frequency of the guitar string? Explain your reasoning.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your other post. Please do not double post problems.

Yeah i know I accidently posted it into the wrong section and then a moderator i think moved it here? not really sure I am knew, so i thought it was deleted, so i posted a new one in the homework section

No problem. It's just easier to help with homework problems we don't have a problem being solved more than once. Don't worry about it.

What is the purpose of a physics assignment?

The purpose of a physics assignment is to help students apply the concepts and principles of physics to solve problems and deepen their understanding of the subject. It also allows students to practice critical thinking, analytical skills, and mathematical calculations related to physics.

What topics are typically covered in a physics assignment?

Physics assignments can cover a wide range of topics, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, optics, and modern physics. The specific topics covered will depend on the level of the assignment and the course curriculum.

How can I approach a difficult physics assignment?

When faced with a difficult physics assignment, it is important to break down the problem into smaller, manageable parts. Start by identifying the known and unknown variables and then use relevant equations and concepts to solve for the unknown. It can also be helpful to work through practice problems and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

Can I use outside resources for my physics assignment?

It is generally acceptable to use outside resources for a physics assignment, but it is important to properly cite any sources used and to understand the material being used. It is always best to first try solving the problem on your own before seeking outside help.

How can I check the accuracy of my physics assignment?

To check the accuracy of your physics assignment, you can compare your solutions with the solutions provided by your teacher or textbook. It is also helpful to double-check your calculations and ensure that your units are consistent throughout the assignment. If you are still unsure, you can seek feedback from a teacher or tutor.