Kinetic Energy on Incline Objects: Cylinder, Sphere, Hoop, All Same?

In summary, while the sphere may have the least rotational kinetic energy, all the objects have the same kinetic energy at the bottom of the incline due to conservation of energy. In the second conversation, the answer is not "the ball and the cannon have equal momentum after the ball is fired" because momentum is a vector and the direction of the cannon's recoil is opposite to the direction of the ball's motion. The correct answer is "the center of mass of the system remains unchanged."
UrbanXrisis
Which on the following objects has the least kinetic energy at the bottom of the incline if they have the same mass and radius:
A) cylinder
B) sphere
C) hoop
D) all have the same

I piced B but the answer is D. My question is, the sphere has the least rotational kinetic energy, which means it will roll slowly, making it's kinetic energy less than the hoop or cylinder. I don't understand how they can all have the same kinetic energy when the hoop has a greater rotational kinetic energy.

When a ball is fired from a cannon wth a mass much greater than that of the ball, which of the following is true?

The answer is "The center of mass of the system remains unchanged." I picked "The ball and the cannon have equal momentum after the ball is fired"
I picked this because if the cannon and ball represents an elastic collision. I don't see why my answer isn't valid.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first answer is D because the center of mass of each shape dropped the same heighth, so each acquired the same amount of kinetic energy.

Technically, the cannon and the ball don't have the same momentum. Momentum is a vector. But as long as you understand that the center of mass does remain the same you aren't too far wrong. And yes if the cannon and ball conserve momentum, neglecting the gunpowder/gases of course.

for #1, how can one object gain more velocity than the other while keeping the energy balanced?

for #2, when the cannon fires the ball, the cannon repels backwards keeping the same momentum that it gave the ball. If this was false and momentum was not conserved, then I don't see how the center of mass can be conserved.

#1 Conservation of Energy. Energy acquired from g*m*delta h = rotational + translational kinetic energy.

#2 The "momentum of cannon and ball are equal" is a trick answer. The magnitudes are equal, yes. But momentum is a vector, and two vectors aren't equal unless both magnitude and direction are equal. These are opposite. So the aren't equal.

The CoM is conserved.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

How is kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

How does kinetic energy change on an inclined plane?

On an inclined plane, the force of gravity is acting on the object at an angle. This means that the work done by gravity is not the same as the change in kinetic energy. However, the total mechanical energy (kinetic energy + potential energy) remains constant.

What is the difference in kinetic energy for a cylinder, sphere, and hoop on an inclined plane?

The difference in kinetic energy for these objects on an inclined plane depends on their mass and velocity. The cylinder and sphere have the same formula for kinetic energy, but the hoop has a different formula due to its shape and distribution of mass.

Can kinetic energy be converted into potential energy on an inclined plane?

Yes, as an object moves up an inclined plane, its kinetic energy decreases while its potential energy increases. This is because work is being done against gravity, transforming kinetic energy into potential energy.