Physics electric field problem

In summary, the problem involves four charges, two of which are fixed in place while the other two are free to move. The goal is to determine the angle at which the free charge experiences no net force, expressed as a function of an integer N. The equations E=(k*q)/r² and E=(k*Q*q)/r² may be used to solve this problem.
aaronmilk3
In the figure shown, electrons 1 and 2 are on the x-axis while charges
3 and 4 are on the y-axis. The charges 3 and 4 are identical with
charge -Ne and at identical angle θ(theta). N is an integer. Electron 2 is
free to move while the other charges are fixed in place a horizontal
distance R from electron 2. Determine the angle as a function of
N so that electron 2 experiences no net force.

Here is a link to the image included with the problem.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/l…

I thought I would use the equation E=(k*q)/r² or use E=(k*Q*q)/r²

E=electric field
k=constant 8.99x10^9
q= the charge
Q= the other charge
r= radius

Even help with the first step will likely help so I can get on the right path. I'm not sure how to do this one at all. Just trying to study for a test on Friday and pulling out problems that I do not know how to do. Thank you in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your image has been deleted.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged particle and exerts a force on other charged particles in its vicinity. It is a fundamental concept in physics that helps to explain the behavior of charged particles and their interactions with each other.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created when an object with a charge, either positive or negative, is placed in space. The electric field is produced by the electric charge and extends in all directions, creating a force on any other charged particles in its path.

3. What is the relationship between electric field and electric potential?

The electric field and electric potential are closely related. The electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. In other words, the electric potential is the amount of work required to move a unit charge from one point to another in the electric field. The direction of the electric field is always in the direction of decreasing electric potential.

4. How do you calculate the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m) and can be calculated using the formula E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force exerted by the electric field, and q is the charge of the particle experiencing the force. The direction of the electric field is always in the direction of the force exerted on a positive charge.

5. What are some real-world applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have many practical applications in our daily lives. Some examples include the generation and transmission of electricity, the operation of electronic devices such as computers and smartphones, and medical technologies such as MRI machines. Electric fields also play a crucial role in the behavior of lightning and the functioning of our nervous system.