1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics experiment with cone

1. Nov 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

My AP physics teacher asked us to do an experiment on anything that involves a paper cone for my physics class, and I'm trying to think of something creative/original to do.

2. Relevant equations

No particular equations. As long as it's AP (12th grade) level physics.

3. The attempt at a solution

The only things I could come up with involved circular motion in a cone or something with sound waves, but those aren't too original. However, it also needs to be something that can be carried out in a school lab. Any interesting ideas?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2009 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could put ice cream in one. If you can't figure out what to do with it, at least you could eat it:)

AM

4. Nov 2, 2009 #3
    Haha whilst I'm sure that would be very nourishing it would get me a zero!

Just to add some extra detail:
    Basically the teacher sets a specific parameter (in this case that we need to use a cone) and then we can do whatever we want with it. However, it needs to be a doable experiment - I'll need to eventually conduct the experiment with data, results and evaluative points at the end.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  5. Nov 2, 2009 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try inverting the cone, making a small hole in the point and put sand in it. Suspend it from a long string above a clear flat surface and set it in motion. Let it go for several hours. What does the pattern of sand on the surface tell you?

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook