Physics Friction Homework: Normal Force on 80kg Object

In summary, the normal force on an object being pulled up by a force of 4000N at an angle is 2280N when the force is at an angle of 50 degrees and 4543N when the force is at an angle of 70 degrees. The normal force is equal to the weight of the object multiplied by the cosine of the angle. The pulling force increases the normal force in both cases.
Intrusionv2

Homework Statement

Find the normal force on an object, 80kg, which is being pulled up by a force of 4000N at an angle of: A) Up at 50 degrees. B) Down at an angle of 70 degrees.

Homework Equations

Fw = mg
Fsinx
Fcosx

The Attempt at a Solution

A) Fn = 784 - 4000sin50 = -2280 = 2280N

B) Fn = 784 + 4000sin70 = 4543N

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
part B would have to be sin(-70) since it is below, correct?

But did you notice that I added instead of subtracted the 2nd one?

Okay, well as I understand it for part A normal force is equal to mgcos50 degrees. I don't think you have to multiply anything but gravity by your mass.

Thus, n=mgcos: n=(80kg)(9.8 m/s^2)*cos(50)

It is not on an incline. it is being pulled up at an angle.

I can't picture anything being pulled up at an angle without being on an incline so I'm probably not the person to be trying to help. :/ Sorry

Have you tried drawing a free body diagram? What is the Normal force equal to? In part (a), is the pulling increasing or decreasing the normal force? In part (b) is the pulling increasing or decreasing the normal force?

What is the formula for calculating normal force?

The formula for calculating normal force is FN = mg, where m is the mass of the object and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2).

What is the relation between normal force and weight?

Normal force is equal and opposite to the weight of an object. This means that if an object is resting on a horizontal surface, the normal force acting on it will be equal and opposite to the object's weight, which is given by mg.

How does the angle of incline affect the normal force?

The normal force acting on an object on an inclined plane will be less than the object's weight due to the component of the weight acting parallel to the surface. The normal force can be calculated using the formula FN = mg cosθ, where θ is the angle of incline.

What is the significance of normal force in relation to friction?

Normal force is responsible for creating the frictional force between two surfaces. Without normal force, there would be no friction and objects would not be able to stay stationary or move in a controlled manner.

How can the normal force be increased or decreased?

The normal force can be increased by increasing the mass of the object or by increasing the angle of incline. It can be decreased by decreasing the mass of the object or by decreasing the angle of incline.