Physics G.11 Question on Forces/Newton's Laws and Friction

In summary, Michael is trying to move a 45kg crate across a wooden floor. He first needs to find the forces acting on the crate, and then use Newton's Second Law to find the acceleration.
Michael Li
Hi, i am very confused on how your supposed to do these two quesitons. I am currently taking a intensified g11 course during the summer, and i think the teacher is going to fast, and I am not sure how I am supposed to do this. Please help explain each question out thoroughly, also it would be best if you could help me with what equations i should use.

1. In the horizontal starting area of a four person boblsed race, the four athletes, with a combined mass including outfits of 295kg, exert a minimum horizontal force of 41 N [fwd] to get the 315kg sled to be gin moving. After the sled has traveled for almost 15m, all four people jump into the sled, and the sled then experiences a kinetic friction of magnitude 66N. Determine the coefficient of :
(a) static friction
(b) kinetic friction

2. To move a 45kg wooden crate across a wooden floor (μ = 0.2), you tie a rope onto the crate and pull on the rope. While you are pulling the rope with a force of 115N, it makes an angle of 15 degrees with the horizontal. How much time elapses between the time at which the crate just starts to move and the time at which you are pulling it with a velocity of 1.4 m/s.
I know this may be a lot of trouble for you, so thank you for taking your time to help me!
Thanks!
Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Michael! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

(start with Question 2 … what acceleration do you get?)

1. For part (a), you must draw a free-body diagram of the bobsled. What are all the forces on the sled, and in what directions do they point? For part (b), you must now do a free-body diagram on the full bobsled. What are the forces on the sled? In what direction do they point?

2. I'm simply going to repeat my suggestions for # 1. In fact, the most important thing I can do for you right now is to point you to the Problem-Solving Strategy, which you can download on http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f22/problem-solving-strategy-28/. I would recommend the mechanics-tailored version for the problems you're doing.

tiny-tim said:
Hello Michael! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

(start with Question 2 … what acceleration do you get?)

Thanks Tim
So following standard procedures.

2. Homework Equations
Fn= Fg - FappSinTheta
Fn=mg - FappSinTheta
Ff = Fnμ

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Fn=Fg - FappSinTheta
=(45kg)(9.8) - 115sin15
=411N
Ff = Fnμ = 411(0.2) = 82.2N

Im not sure if i did this correctly, i am quite confused about what to do.

Michael Li said:
Thanks Tim

2. Homework Equations
Fn= Fg - FappSinTheta
Fn=mg - FappSinTheta
Ff = Fnμ

Fn=Fg - FappSinTheta
=(45kg)(9.8) - 115sin15
=411N

Im not sure if i did this correctly, i am quite confused about what to do.

You need to write down all the forces in the x direction. What you've written down is Newton's Second Law in the y direction. But there is no motion in that direction, since [itex]115\sin(15^{\circ})<45[/itex]. You must sum the forces in the x direction, and set that equal to the mass times the acceleration in the x direction.

(just got up :zzz:)
Michael Li said:
Thanks Tim

2. Homework Equations
Fn= Fg - FappSinTheta
Fn=mg - FappSinTheta
Ff = Fnμ

Fn=Fg - FappSinTheta
=(45kg)(9.8) - 115sin15
=411N

correct …

the vertical acceleration is zero, so the vertical components of all the forces add to zero, enabling you to find the normal force Fn :smile:

correct …

now use the horizontal components of all the forces in good ol' Newton's second law (Ftotal = ma), to find the acceleration :wink:

1. What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do you calculate force?

Force can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration, using the equation F=ma. This is based on Newton's second law of motion.

3. What is friction and how does it affect motion?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface. It can either cause an object to slow down or prevent it from moving altogether. The amount of friction depends on the types of surfaces and the force pressing them together.

4. What are the different types of friction?

The three types of friction are static, kinetic, and fluid friction. Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. Kinetic friction is the force that acts against an object already in motion. Fluid friction is the resistance an object experiences when moving through a fluid, such as air or water.

5. How can you reduce friction?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. Changing the material of one or both surfaces can also reduce friction. For example, using smooth surfaces instead of rough ones can decrease the amount of friction. Additionally, reducing the weight or force pressing the surfaces together can decrease friction.