Solving Static and Kinetic Friction Problems for Physics Grade 11

In summary: Glad I can count on you all.In summary, the forces on a 2000kg car when it is braking hard are 2000N of static friction and zero net force due to friction.
Raza
Hello, I just want to make sure I did my problem right.
Q: A 41.0N force is applied to a 300 kg crate to make it just move. Calculate the coefficient of static friction.

My Work:
phy.jpg

Is that right?

This question I really don't get.
Q:The driver of a car applied the brakes so hard that the car skids at a constant speed on wet asphalt road. If the mass of the car is 2000kg, calculate the force of kinetic friction of the car.

Please Help

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Looks good to me.

2) This is an odd one. If the car is skidding "at constant speed", and we presume in a constant direction, then what can you say about the acceleration? If the acceleration has that value, then what must the net force be? And, finally, what does that tell you about the force due to friction?

As I say, an odd question, but I don't see any other plausible answer.

Diane,

Thanks for confirming I wasn't going crazy...I looked at the question too and thought...net force zero...yet there is a friction force...what could possibly be counteracting it? After all, the driver hit the brakes...so the engine is not going...it is a strange scenario.

My only thought is that the wet asphalt acts like a frictionless surface. That's a little silly, but not too much so.

If your teacher has something else in mind, I'd appreciate your posting it when you find out. You have me curious now.

Well, I'm not the thread author, just someone who was trying to help out as well, and came to that same conclusion. Hopefully he/she will get back to us on whether that was was the teacher was looking for

I am going to ask my teacher about that question. And I really appreciate you guys helping me. Sometime, my teacher acts like an ass and doesn't help me.

FAQ: Solving Static and Kinetic Friction Problems for Physics Grade 11

1. What are the main topics covered in Physics Grade 11?

The main topics covered in Physics Grade 11 include kinematics, dynamics, energy, momentum, waves, optics, electricity, and magnetism.

2. How can I improve my understanding of Physics Grade 11 concepts?

To improve your understanding of Physics Grade 11 concepts, it is important to practice solving problems and actively engage in class discussions. You can also seek help from your teacher or a tutor if you are struggling with specific topics.

3. What are some real-life applications of Physics Grade 11 concepts?

Physics Grade 11 concepts have many real-life applications, such as understanding how objects move and interact, how electricity and magnetism work, and how light and sound behave. These concepts are also important in fields like engineering, medicine, and technology.

4. What are the key skills needed to succeed in Physics Grade 11?

To succeed in Physics Grade 11, you should have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It is also important to have a curious and open-minded approach to learning and be willing to ask questions.

5. What are some useful resources for studying Physics Grade 11?

Some useful resources for studying Physics Grade 11 include textbooks, online videos and tutorials, practice problems and quizzes, and study groups with classmates. Your teacher may also have additional resources or recommendations for further study.