Graph Darryl's Movement: Physics Homework

In summary, Darryl drove a total distance of 34.2 km in a time of 42 minutes, with a final position of 14.0 km east and 20.0 km north from his starting point. The graph representing his movement would show four segments, with the first segment going 14.0 km east, the second segment going 6.0 km north, the third segment going 12.0 km north-east, and the final segment going 2.0 km north-east from the third point.
ElegantSir

Homework Statement

"Darryl drives his load of tomatoes 14.0 km [E], 6.0 km [N], 12.0 km [ N 15° E], and then 2.0 km [N 65° E]. This takes him 42 minutes."

Question: Draw a graph representing Darryl's movement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I posted my 'solution' in the thumbnail, I just wanted to know if this was correct or not. I've looked at a few problems similar to this one and I feel like I am getting something wrong, but I can't quite tell.

Attachments

• 20150914_232540.jpg
    20150914_232540.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good.

Bystander said:
Looks good.
I really appreciate the verification! I was stressing out over whether I did it correctly or not for a while :p

What is the purpose of graphing Darryl's movement for this physics homework?

The purpose of graphing Darryl's movement is to visually represent his position, velocity, and acceleration over time, allowing for a better understanding of the principles of physics and how they apply to real-world scenarios.

What data points should be included in the graph of Darryl's movement?

The graph of Darryl's movement should include his position (x-axis) and time (y-axis), as well as his velocity and acceleration (both can be plotted on the y-axis as well).

What type of graph should be used to display Darryl's movement?

A line graph is typically used to display Darryl's movement, as it allows for a clear representation of the relationship between his position, velocity, and acceleration over time.

How can the graph of Darryl's movement be used to calculate his velocity and acceleration?

The slope of the line on the graph represents Darryl's velocity, as it is the change in position over time. The slope of the velocity line represents his acceleration, as it is the change in velocity over time.

What factors can affect Darryl's movement and how can they be represented on the graph?

Factors such as air resistance, friction, and external forces can impact Darryl's movement. These can be represented on the graph by adding additional lines or data points that correspond to these factors and their effects on Darryl's position, velocity, and acceleration over time.