Physics GRE or Math GRE for theoretical physics?

In summary, taking the physics GRE is the best option for pursuing a graduate degree in theoretical physics in the US, given that it is the required test.
PuzzledLogician
I'm a student from the UK, completing a degree in theoretical physics. I'm interested in pursuing graduate opportunities in both the UK and the US. Of course, I am much more familiar with the 'UK standard' for graduate studies, in that the areas I want to pursue can fall into either the maths department or physics department of the specific university, but my understanding of the US system is somewhat lacking - to say the least.

I have had both a look at the physics GRE and maths GRE, and both seem reasonably manageable. My question is what would be the better route to take in looking at graduate studies in the US in pursuing theoretical physics; the maths or physics GRE?

Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you just take them both?

Many thanks for your quick response.

Yes, but not in the same 'testing period', and if applications/admissions to graduate studies are similar in the US and UK, the timescales do not necessarily overlap much in applying for graduate studies. (This is a fault on my part, in the sense that I need to do more research into what I plan to apply for next year and the respective application deadlines)

Having had a look at the testing dates, my 'plan' currently would be to take the physics GRE in the first available testing period, and the maths one in the second, although this makes it quite tight in then making further applications for graduates studies in terms of using the score from the second test period.

Perhaps a slight rephrasing of my question could be: Given the choice between the maths and physics GRE for theoretical physics, which would be the wiser option to pursue, given only one option?

Many thanks.

Physics.

Likes berkeman
In the US, a graduate program in theoretical physics will typically be offered by the physics dept (perhaps there are outliers). Therefore, you will most likely be applying to the physics dept; in which case, the physics GRE would be desirable, and, in many instances, required.

Nice one, thanks very much Vanadium 50 and CrysPhys. I'll go for the physics GRE for definite then.

Ta

Likes berkeman

1. What is the difference between the Physics GRE and the Math GRE for theoretical physics?

The Physics GRE is a subject-specific test that assesses a student's knowledge in various areas of physics, such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics. On the other hand, the Math GRE is a general test that covers a broader range of mathematical topics, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. While both tests are relevant for theoretical physics, the Physics GRE may be more directly applicable as it focuses specifically on physics concepts.

2. Do I need to take both the Physics GRE and the Math GRE for theoretical physics?

It depends on the specific requirements of the graduate program you are applying to. Some programs may require only the Physics GRE, while others may require both. It is important to research the requirements of each program you are interested in to determine which tests you need to take.

3. How should I prepare for the Physics GRE or Math GRE for theoretical physics?

The best way to prepare for these exams is to review the material covered in undergraduate physics and math courses. It is also helpful to practice with sample questions and take practice tests to become familiar with the format and types of questions that may be asked. Additionally, seeking guidance from professors or tutors can also be beneficial.

4. Are there any resources available to help me prepare for the Physics GRE or Math GRE for theoretical physics?

Yes, there are many resources available, such as study guides, practice tests, and online tutorials. Some universities also offer review courses specifically for these exams. It is important to choose reputable resources and to start preparing well in advance of the exam date.

5. How important are my Physics GRE and Math GRE scores for admission to a theoretical physics graduate program?

While these scores are certainly important, they are not the only factor considered in the admissions process. Other factors, such as letters of recommendation, research experience, and personal statements, also play a significant role. However, a strong performance on these exams can demonstrate your knowledge and potential in the field of theoretical physics, so it is important to prepare and perform well.