Calculating Final Velocity of a Car Rolling into a Station

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a 13.7 kg car running out of gas and rolling into a service station. The solution to the problem involves finding the kinetic energy of the car and using the energy conservation law. The final answer is 17.33 m/s.
albert611
Hi, I attempted this problem, but I do not see how it makes sense. Could somebody give me an idea of how to solve this problem? Thanks!

While traveling along at 24.3 m/s, a 13.7 kg car runs out of gas 16 km from a service station. Neglecting friction, if the station is on a level 14.8 m above the elevation of the car, how fast will the car be going when it rolls into the station?

The correct answer should be 17.33 m/s BTW.

Thank you very much for your help!

-Albert

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, let's see.

Find the component of gravity that is slowing down the car. That'll be your negative acceleration. You have all the other information. Use the appropriate kinematic equation, plug and chug.

Also, if you know how to calculate potential gravitational energy and kinetic energy you could use the energy conservation law.

In other words:
1) find the kinetic energy of the car using Ek= (1/2)mv2.
2) find the increase in potential energy as the car moves up to the gas station using
Ep= mgh.
3) find the kinetic energy of the car at the gas station assuming conservation of energy
4) find the speed of the car from the kinetic energy using, again Ek= (1/2)mv2.

I would advise setting up the problem as follows
[tex] KE_i+U+i=KE_f+U_f [/tex]
KE=Kinetic Energy
U=Potential Energy
KE=1/2 m v^2
U=mgy

We can assume the [tex] U_f [/tex] will go to zero

[tex] 1/2mv^2 = 1/2mx^2 + mgy [/tex] solving for x

the m's cancel out

[tex] 1/2 v^2 = 1/2 x^2 + gh [/tex]

solve for x and volla 17.3323

so end the end you did not need to know the cars mass or the 16 miles... go conservation of energy

A 13.7 kg car? It'll be blown away by the wind before it gets there!

1. What is kinematics in physics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves describing an object's position, velocity, and acceleration as it moves through space and time.

2. How is kinematics used in real life?

Kinematics is used in various real-life applications, such as designing roller coasters, predicting the trajectory of projectiles, and analyzing the movement of athletes in sports. It is also used in navigation systems, robotics, and animation.

3. What are the three equations of kinematics?

The three basic equations of kinematics are:

1. v = u + at (relating final velocity, initial velocity, acceleration, and time)

2. s = ut + 1/2at^2 (relating displacement, initial velocity, acceleration, and time)

3. v^2 = u^2 + 2as (relating final velocity, initial velocity, acceleration, and displacement)

4. Can kinematics be applied to both linear and rotational motion?

Yes, kinematics can be applied to both linear motion (motion in a straight line) and rotational motion (motion around a fixed axis). However, the equations and concepts may differ slightly depending on the type of motion being studied.

5. How is kinematics related to dynamics?

Kinematics and dynamics are both branches of classical mechanics and are closely related. Kinematics deals with the description of motion, while dynamics deals with the forces that cause the motion. In other words, kinematics provides the foundation for understanding dynamics.