Physics problems driving me crazy- each book has different formulas

In summary, the electric potential difference between two parallel metal plates is delta V. The plates are separated by a distance of 3.0 mm and the electric field between the plates is 250 V/m. Using the formula E = -delta V/delta D, the calculated value for delta V is 0.75 V. The answer may be positive or negative depending on the direction of the electric field. The distance is always positive.

Homework Statement

The electric potential difference between two parallel metal plates is delta V. The plates are separated by a distance of 3 .0 mm and the electric field between the plats is E = 250 V / m. Calculate delta V

Homework Equations

E = - delta V / delta D

The Attempt at a Solution

250 V / m = - 120 V / D

D = -0.75 V

The answer says 0.75 V.

Is it positive or negative? can someone help?

The prior question I solved, using this formula and plugging in values gave me -1.2 * 10^3 N/C.

So, why is it positive? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
"Electric field between the plates" does not specify the direction of the field. It points to the lower potential. Calculate with the absolute values. A distance is always positive.

ehild

1. What are the most common formulas used in physics problems?

The most common formulas used in physics problems include Newton's laws of motion, the equations for kinematics (velocity, acceleration, and displacement), and the laws of thermodynamics. Other commonly used formulas include those for work, energy, and power, as well as formulas for electricity and magnetism.

2. How do I know which formula to use in a given physics problem?

The best way to determine which formula to use in a physics problem is to carefully read and understand the problem statement and identify the known and unknown variables. Then, look for a formula that includes those variables and use that formula to solve the problem.

3. Why do different physics textbooks have different formulas for the same concept?

Physics is a constantly evolving field, and different textbooks may use different notations or approaches to explain the same concept. Additionally, some formulas may have been modified or updated over time as new research and discoveries are made.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

One of the best ways to improve problem-solving skills in physics is to practice solving a variety of problems using different formulas and techniques. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor and to attend lectures or workshops on problem-solving strategies.

5. Are there any tips for remembering all the different formulas in physics?

One helpful tip for remembering formulas in physics is to create a formula sheet or flashcards with the most commonly used formulas and refer to them regularly. It is also important to understand the underlying concepts and principles behind each formula rather than just memorizing them.