1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Project Conservation of momentum,energy, and projectile motion

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    For my AP Physics Class we were given spring loaded nerf guns and asked to find a spring constant and the acceleration of the bullet before it hit the block. We had to hit a target that was on the edge of our desk and record the distance when the bullet stuck to the target. I have worked more than halfway through the problem, but have trouble when it comes to the conservation of energy and can't seem to find the acceleration.

Mb=.0136 kg
    Mt=.2392 kg
    X(Desk to landing place)=.3825 m
    Y(Top of target to floor)=.82

To find time it takes for the bullet/target combo to reach the floor I used the y-component
    Xy=XoY+Vo(t)+1/2(a)(t)2
    0=.82+1/2(-9.81)(t)2
    T=-.82/-4.905=.409

To find velocity of the bullet/target combo I substituted time into the x-component
    X=Xo+Vo(t)+1/2(a)(t)2
    .3852= Vo(.409)
    Vo=.935

To find the velocity of the bullet before it hit the target I used the conservation of momentum
    MbVb+ MtVt=( Mb+ Mt)Vo
    .0136Vb+.2392(0)=(.0136+.2392).935
    Vb=17.38

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2009 #2
    Ohh I forgot the spring is compressed 0.06 meters and the distance from the tip of the gun to the block is 1.77 meters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook