Physics Project Topic Ideas for High School

In summary, my fellow students are thinking about showing wave-particle duality, but I want to do something different. My question is what topic in high school physics isn't fully fleshed out and concrete. A good example is that light isn't only a wave but rather made up of photons, but has wave properties. It would be nice if an experiment could also be suggested, knowing that my school's labs have a limited supply of materials.
John H
I'm not sure if this really constitutes as homework, its really a question more about topics in physics. As a final project in our high school physics course, we have been asked to design and test a physics principle learned over the period of the course. Topic from Kinematics and dynamics, Circular motion, conservation of momentum, Electricity and Magnetism, wave nature of light. We also will learn about relativity, but this assignment is due before, although I have already read the modern physics unit out of interest and for doing presentation on quantum computing for comp sci class. Many of my fellow students are thinking about showing wave-particle duality, and so I want to do something different. Now the project does not state that we have to prove a principle learned in the course wrong, but just to test and if you are able to choose a topic that is not fully fleshed out in the course and could add to it through your experiment and presentation, than even better.

My question is what topic in high school physics isn't how should I say, fully fleshed out and concrete. By that I mean, its mostly true but has some exceptions or has been proven somewhat wrong through years of research. A good example is that light isn't only a wave but rather made up of photons, but has wave properties. Also it would be nice if an experiment could also be suggested, knowing that my school's labs have a limited supply of materials.

Physics news on Phys.org
John H said:
I'm not sure if this really constitutes as homework, its really a question more about topics in physics. As a final project in our high school physics course, we have been asked to design and test a physics principle learned over the period of the course. Topic from Kinematics and dynamics, Circular motion, conservation of momentum, Electricity and Magnetism, wave nature of light. We also will learn about relativity, but this assignment is due before, although I have already read the modern physics unit out of interest and for doing presentation on quantum computing for comp sci class. Many of my fellow students are thinking about showing wave-particle duality, and so I want to do something different. Now the project does not state that we have to prove a principle learned in the course wrong, but just to test and if you are able to choose a topic that is not fully fleshed out in the course and could add to it through your experiment and presentation, than even better.

My question is what topic in high school physics isn't how should I say, fully fleshed out and concrete. By that I mean, its mostly true but has some exceptions or has been proven somewhat wrong through years of research. A good example is that light isn't only a wave but rather made up of photons, but has wave properties. Also it would be nice if an experiment could also be suggested, knowing that my school's labs have a limited supply of materials.

Do you think you have adequate equipment to build up a demo of the photoelectric effect? That would be pretty cool.

I believe so, I have viewed some video after Ur suggestion and it seems like a reasonable experiment, more suggestions would help.

1. What are some popular physics project topic ideas for high school students?

Some popular physics project topic ideas for high school students include building a simple electric motor, investigating the properties of light, exploring the laws of motion, and designing a solar-powered car. Other ideas could include studying the behavior of sound waves, constructing a simple telescope, or investigating the concept of energy conservation.

2. How can I come up with an original physics project topic?

One way to come up with an original physics project topic is to think about a problem or question that interests you and then brainstorm ways to explore it using principles of physics. You could also look at current events or technological advancements and see how physics plays a role in them, then design a project related to that topic.

3. Are there any physics project ideas that don't require expensive materials or equipment?

Yes, there are many physics project ideas that can be done with everyday materials and minimal equipment. For example, you could create a pendulum using a string and a weight, investigate the properties of different types of paper airplanes, or explore the concept of buoyancy using objects found around the house.

4. How can I make my physics project stand out?

To make your physics project stand out, try to think of a unique angle or approach to a commonly studied topic. You could also incorporate creative elements such as visuals, demonstrations, or hands-on experiments. Additionally, make sure to clearly communicate your findings and conclusions in a well-organized and visually appealing manner.

5. Can I incorporate other subjects into my physics project?

Absolutely! Physics is a subject that can be integrated with many other disciplines, such as biology, chemistry, engineering, and even art. For example, you could create a project that explores the physics of flight while also incorporating principles of aerodynamics and designing a visually appealing paper airplane. The possibilities are endless!