Find Coefficient of Friction for Physics Final Review

• Thread starter lionsxxden
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the coefficient of friction is a measure of resistance between two surfaces and is important for predicting and designing structures and machines. It is determined by conducting experiments and can be affected by various factors such as surface type, roughness, weight, and presence of lubricants. To reduce the coefficient of friction, lubricants, polishing, and changing the direction of force can be used.
lionsxxden
I'm doing a review for my physics final, and it's asking me to find the coefficient. The problem says,

A brick has a mass of 1,2 kilograms. A force of 5.4 N is required to move the brick across the floor with a constant velocity. What is the coefficient of friction?

What is the equation I use to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try and use Newton's Second Law.

I'm assuming this is coefficient of kinetic friction?

coefficient = Friction force / Normal forceAnd when you move at constant velocity, total forces on said object = 0, so can you figure it out from there?

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It represents the ratio of the force required to move one surface over the other to the normal force between the two surfaces.

2. Why is it important to find the coefficient of friction?

Knowing the coefficient of friction allows us to predict the amount of force needed to move an object on a particular surface. It also helps in designing structures and machines to ensure they can withstand the forces of friction.

3. How is the coefficient of friction determined?

The coefficient of friction can be determined by conducting experiments where the force needed to move an object on a surface is measured and then divided by the normal force. This can be repeated with different surfaces and the average coefficient of friction can be calculated.

4. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the weight and shape of the objects, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surfaces.

5. How can the coefficient of friction be reduced?

The coefficient of friction can be reduced by using lubricants, polishing or smoothing the surfaces, and using materials with lower coefficients of friction. Additionally, changing the angle or direction of the force applied can also reduce the coefficient of friction.