My Struggles with Physics: Tips for Studying the Subject

In summary, this student's professor has told the class that they will be learning physics differently than any other class they have taken. The student is having difficulty with the class because they have to put all their effort into the class and they still can't seem to set up problems. There are some tips for studying physics that the student provides. One of the student's habits is to memorize formulae and processes for specific types of questions, but they suggest that this should not be done. The student is open to more suggestions from the class.
Fused
This is my first year of physics . On the first day my professor had already told us that we would be learning physics differently than any other class we would be taking. I had been able to zoom through all of my other classes like econ, pysch, english, math, chem, bio etc. For physics however I have to put all my energy and time into this class and I still can't seem to set up problems (as some of you might notice by my multiple postings)! Are there any tips to studying physics? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a good tip for free-fall problems: After your diagram, you always write four things -- three givens and one with a question mark. Otherwise, you may think you don't have enough 'givens'. For example, if they ask the initial velocity it would take to reach a height of 10 meters, you would write " x= 10 m, a = -9.8 m/sec^2, v(f) = 0, v(i) = ?. Then look for the formula with all four of those letters, and no other letter. Rearrange it to get the ? one by itself, then just fill in the blanks, taking the units along with the numbers. Your answer will come out with the correct units.

One of the worst habits physics students develop is the tendency to memorize formulas and processes for specific types of questions and then applying these to similar questions. Confronted with a new type of problem or one where many different physical principals are needed, these students often have trouble. Rather, physics questions should all be approached by starting with a basic principle (or several). You learn that most areas of physics are based on a few underlying concepts, and that many areas of physics are very related.

Sirus said:
One of the worst habits physics students develop is the tendency to memorize formulas and processes for specific types of questions and then applying these to similar questions. Confronted with a new type of problem or one where many different physical principals are needed, these students often have trouble. Rather, physics questions should all be approached by starting with a basic principle (or several). You learn that most areas of physics are based on a few underlying concepts, and that many areas of physics are very related.

That's one of my habits.. But it's the only way I know how to go about the problem! Please elaborate what you mean by 'starting with a basic principle.'

Read Feynman.

Tip: Do the physics before you do the math! :-)

By starting with a basic principle, I mean something like work-energy theorem rather than a memorized kinematic formula.

I never like using algebra when I do Basic Physics involving velocity, acceleration, energy, etc. Instead, I tend to picture graphs in my head, and then work out the answers from there. I like drawing things out as well. Reading Feynman, as suggested by humanino, is probably a good idea. For more difficult Physics, I suggest that you never MEMORISE any formulae. I think this is good advice particularly for those just starting to learn physics. Try to understand it! This method will make you slow at solving problems at first (compared to people who memorise formulae) but after a while you'll be able to solve problems very quickly.

Of course, this is coming from someone who has only been taking Physics for little more than a year. I understand that university Physics requires a lot of memorising, something which I'm afraid I will refuse to do! It's worked for me so far, but I must admit that my method may be risky for some.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your suggestions! I'm open to more, please continue posting!

Related to My Struggles with Physics: Tips for Studying the Subject

What is the best way to study physics?

The best way to study physics is to actively engage with the material, rather than just passively reading or listening to lectures. This can include solving practice problems, participating in group discussions, and teaching the material to someone else. It is also important to have a strong foundation in math and to keep up with the material as the course progresses.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

One of the best ways to improve problem-solving skills in physics is to practice, practice, practice. Start with simple problems and gradually work your way up to more difficult ones. Also, make sure to understand the underlying concepts and principles behind each problem, rather than just memorizing equations.

What resources are available for studying physics?

There are many resources available for studying physics, including textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, study groups, and tutoring services. Your teacher or professor may also have additional materials or resources for you to use. It is important to find the resources that work best for you and utilize them effectively.

How should I approach studying for exams in physics?

When studying for exams in physics, it is important to review all of the material from the entire course, rather than just focusing on the most recent topics. Make sure to understand the concepts and principles, rather than just memorizing equations. Also, practice solving problems and take practice exams to assess your understanding and identify areas for improvement.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when studying physics?

One common mistake when studying physics is relying too heavily on memorization rather than understanding the underlying concepts. It is also important to pace yourself and not try to cram all of the material in one sitting. Additionally, make sure to seek help and clarification if you are struggling with a particular concept or problem. Finally, avoid distractions and create a conducive study environment to maximize your learning.