Pipe Pressure from discharge in Tank

In summary, the pressure from a discharge in a tank is determined by the height of the liquid in the tank and the density of the liquid. The pressure at the bottom of the tank is equivalent to the weight of the column of liquid above it, divided by the surface area of the bottom of the tank. This pressure can be increased by increasing the height of the liquid or by using a denser liquid. It is important to carefully monitor and regulate the pressure in a tank to ensure safe and efficient operation.
Juanka
The diagram attached is a picture of the problem I have. I have a 10ft tall cylindrical tank with 20ft of pipe directly under it. The tank at full capacity can hold 100 gallons of water or 10 gallons per ft. I want to calculate the pressure of the water right before it leaves the pipe 20ft below. The pipe is of 1" diameter. I know from fluid mechanics that pressure=rho*gravity*change in height. Is it important to apply the diameter of the pipe into the calculation or is it negligible?? Thank in advance!

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 639
Engineering news on Phys.org
Or is the following formula applicable?

Pressure= 14.7psi + [1.96 slug/ft^3*[30*(12)]in*[(32.2)*(12)]in/s^2]

You're making it too difficult. The pressure is simply 14.7 psi. Think about what the pressure inside the stream is a fraction of an inch after leaving the pipe. The pressure in the stream a fraction of an inch before leaving the pipe must be the same.

The flow inside the pipe will adjust itself so that the head loss in the pipe equals the pressure at the bottom of the tank.

bro I think the formula is applicable indeed, anyway if you want help in such fluid dynamics or static problem visit this webpage it explains it all : http://wwwfiravia.com/mecheng.html

Last edited by a moderator:
firavia said:
bro I think the formula is applicable indeed, anyway if you want help in such fluid dynamics or static problem visit this webpage it explains it all : http://wwwfiravia.com/mecheng.html

Nope. It would be appropriate only if the lower end of the pipe were sealed and there were no flow. Because the flow is discharging freely into the atmosphere, the pressure at the bottom of the pipe is 1 atmosphere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Pipe Pressure from discharge in Tank

1. What is pipe pressure?

Pipe pressure refers to the force exerted by the liquid or gas flowing through a pipe. It is typically measured in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa).

2. How is pipe pressure affected by the discharge in a tank?

The discharge in a tank can affect pipe pressure in a few different ways. If the discharge rate from the tank is high, it can create a higher pressure in the pipe as the liquid or gas is pushed through. Additionally, the level of the liquid or gas in the tank can also impact the pressure as it changes the weight and force pushing down on the liquid or gas in the pipe.

3. How is pipe pressure calculated from discharge in a tank?

To calculate pipe pressure from discharge in a tank, you will need to know the flow rate and the diameter of the pipe. Using these values, you can use the Bernoulli's equation to calculate the pressure. This equation takes into account the fluid velocity, density, and elevation changes to determine the pressure at a certain point in the pipe.

4. Why is it important to monitor pipe pressure from discharge in a tank?

Monitoring pipe pressure from discharge in a tank is important for safety and efficiency purposes. High pressure in a pipe can cause damage or leaks, while low pressure can result in reduced flow and inefficiency. Monitoring the pressure allows for early detection of any potential issues and helps to maintain a stable and safe system.

5. How can pipe pressure from discharge in a tank be controlled?

There are a few ways to control pipe pressure from discharge in a tank. One method is to use pressure regulating valves, which can adjust the flow rate and maintain a consistent pressure. Another option is to use a pump to increase the pressure in the pipe. Properly sized pipes and regular maintenance can also help to control and maintain pipe pressure.