Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Pipe Pressure

1. Jan 24, 2009 #1
    A fluid of density (rho) flows through a horizontal pipe with negligible viscosity. The flow is streamline with constant flow rate. The diameter of the pipe at Point 1 is d and the flow speed is v. If the diameter of the pipe at Point 2 is d/3, then the pressure at Point 2 is?

Bournalli's Equation (sp). I ended up getting P2=P1 - 40(rho)v^2. Correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2009 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

jan2905: That is correct; p2 = p1 - 40*rho*v^2.

4. Jan 24, 2009 #3
    would this mean that if i were hit with the liquid at the respective points....

p1 would hurt more than p2? that would mean that a large mouth waterhose has more force than a small mouth.... that is not correct though.

5. Jan 24, 2009 #4

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

jan2905: I think water exiting a small-mouth water hose at point 2 would probably hurt more, because it has a much higher velocity than the water at point 1. Both streams would be at atmospheric pressure immediately upon exit from the nozzle.

6. Jan 25, 2009 #5
    but we deduced that p1 would have more pressure therefore hurting more. this math seems to be counterintuitive.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook