Pipe wall thickness, barlow equation problem

In summary: I has a variety of pipe burst pressures calculators that you can use to determine burst pressures based on the code you are using.In summary, the example shows how to calculate the weight of fresh water in a container, using a ton force and square meter. Fresh water has a density of 1000 kg / m3, and 1 tonne-force = 1000 kg-force. The acceleration due to gravity is approximately 10 m/s2, and 1 kg-f = 10 N. A head of 110.585 m = 110.585 tf/m2 = 110.585 tf/m2 × 10 kN/tf = 1105.85 kN/m2.
rottweiler123
Hi guys
I am working on some project that involves pipe wall thickness calculation, and I have one problem.
here is the explanation of the example:

http://pokit.org/get/?24c6e34b749030e74662402372ce5fc7.jpg

Please, can some one tell me what means tf/m2 (ton force/square meter ?) and how to do conversion as shown on picture.

Thank you very much.

Engineering news on Phys.org
rottweiler123 said:
Hi guys
I am working on some project that involves pipe wall thickness calculation, and I have one problem.

Please, can some one tell me what means tf/m2 (ton force/square meter ?) and how to do conversion as shown on picture.

Thank you very much.

Fresh water has a density of 1000 kg / m3 (in round numbers) or a weight of 1000 kg-force for each cubic meter.

1 tonne-force = 1000 kg-force, therefore 1 m3 of fresh water weighs 1 tonne-force (tf).

Since the acceleration due to gravity is approximately 10 m/s2, 1 kg-f = 10 N approximately; thus 1 m3 of fresh water weighs 10 kN.

Each meter of depth of fresh water produces a pressure of 10 kN/m2,
so a head of 110.585 m = 110.585 tf/m2 = 110.585 tf/m2 × 10 kN/tf = 1105.85 kN/m2

1 m2 = 1,000,000 mm2, so a pressure of 1105.85 kN/m2 / 1,000,000 = 1.106 N/mm2

so it appears the value of 11.06 kN/mm2 is off by a few decimal places. :frown:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ton-force

I'm not familiar with the equation shown for calculating the wall thickness of the pipe, but it is not the Barlow formula.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/barlow-d_1003.html

rottweiler123 said:
Hi guys

Thank you very much.

Can you describe the application a little bit? Are you using any particular codes (API, ASME, etc.)? Pipe burst pressures are determined using widely different safety factors depending on the code you're using and the application.

Regardless, I don't recommend copying an example to perform engineering calculations if you're not 100% sure of how it was derived! Start with stating the application, figure out your loading conditions (i.e., static internal pressure vs. cyclical, any external loading, etc.) then you can just pick one of the many industry standards/codes that cover your application.

CS

1. What is the barlow equation and how is it used to calculate pipe wall thickness?

The barlow equation is a formula used to determine the minimum required wall thickness for a pipe based on its pressure rating and material properties. It is calculated as follows:

t = (P * D)/(2 * S * E)

Where t is the wall thickness, P is the internal pressure, D is the outside diameter of the pipe, S is the allowable stress of the material, and E is the efficiency factor.

2. What are the factors that affect the required wall thickness of a pipe?

The required wall thickness of a pipe is determined by several factors, including the internal pressure, outside diameter of the pipe, material properties such as allowable stress and efficiency factor, and the type of fluid being transported through the pipe.

3. How accurate is the barlow equation in determining the required pipe wall thickness?

The barlow equation is a widely accepted and reliable method for calculating pipe wall thickness. However, it is important to note that it does not account for all possible factors that may affect the strength of a pipe, so it is always recommended to consult with a professional engineer for an accurate assessment.

4. Can the barlow equation be used for all types of pipes?

The barlow equation can be used for most types of pipes, including seamless, welded, and non-circular pipes. However, it may not be applicable for specialized pipes such as thick-walled pipes, reinforced pipes, and pipes made from certain materials.

5. Is the barlow equation the only method for calculating pipe wall thickness?

No, there are other methods for calculating pipe wall thickness such as the ASME B31.3 code and the modified Barlow equation. These methods may be more suitable for certain types of pipes or specific scenarios, so it is important to consult with an engineer to determine the most appropriate method for your project.