Piston with crankshaft: what is the temperature of gas entering the cylinder?

In summary, the student is trying to figure out the work done to the gas when it is transferred from one container to another. The student is not sure what the mechanism is for the transfer.
Ashley1nOnly

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-16_0-30-53.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

e) I know the temperature is lower in the transparent container but how do you represent this

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-16_0-30-53.png
    upload_2017-12-16_0-30-53.png
    23 KB · Views: 779
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
We seem to be missing a diagram.
A piston is pinned but then a crank is turned? Is there a separate piston pump?
Where does the gas come from that goes to the transparent container?

If it takes energy to transfer the gas, then the gas pressure must rise, which suggests it suddenly increases in pressure and so temperature. Then it slowly cools by radiation back to the transparent containers external ambient temperature, pressure falls during the process.

I wasn't given a diagram. I was hoping that maybe someone could tell me what the problem wanted.
I'm thinking the piston is attached to the crank and that there is gas already in the system.

Where does the question come from ?

My professor made it up

Ashley1nOnly said:
My professor made it up
Then you need to contact your professor and get a clarification on the question.

So there's a piston with a crank attached that is connected to a container.

(1) Either this question has lost clarity and detail in transcription or your professor has very little understanding of physics .

(2) This might be a garbled version of a similar question that I have come across before . In that there was a screw being driven by the crank and the action of the screw propelled the piston down through a cylinder . N turns of the screw with a known applied torque gave a value for work done .

Nidum said:
(2) This might be a garbled version of a similar question that I have come across before . In that there was a screw being driven by the crank and the action of the screw propelled the piston down through a cylinder . N turns of the screw with a known applied torque gave a value for work done .
I think that's what the question is trying to tell us , that is that the work done to the gas is ##n2\pi l F## and since the chamber is thermally isolated and we assume the transfer to be instantaneous ##\Delta U+W=0## and from this to calculate the ##\Delta T## to answer perhaps e). But yes since it says the piston is fixed, don't know what crank is that that does work to the system. Also instantaneous transfer that takes n turns of a crank doesn't seem too orthological either...

Last edited:
Likes Nidum

1. What is the purpose of a piston with crankshaft?

The piston and crankshaft work together to convert the energy from the combustion of fuel into rotational motion, which is used to power the engine.

2. How does the temperature of gas entering the cylinder affect engine performance?

The temperature of the gas entering the cylinder can impact the efficiency of the combustion process, which can in turn affect the power output and overall performance of the engine.

3. What is the ideal temperature for gas entering the cylinder?

The ideal temperature for gas entering the cylinder varies depending on factors such as the type of fuel and engine design. Generally, a higher temperature can lead to more efficient combustion, but there is a limit to how high the temperature can be before causing damage to the engine.

4. How is the temperature of gas entering the cylinder measured?

The temperature of gas entering the cylinder can be measured using various techniques, such as thermocouples or infrared sensors. These devices are typically placed near the intake valve or in the intake manifold to measure the temperature of the incoming air-fuel mixture.

5. Can the temperature of gas entering the cylinder be controlled?

Yes, the temperature of gas entering the cylinder can be controlled through various methods, such as adjusting the air-to-fuel ratio, using intercoolers or water injection, and changing the timing of the intake valve. These methods can help optimize the temperature for better engine performance and efficiency.