Solving Plane Course & Speed Problems

In summary: To solve a 3D problem using the standard coordinate system, imagine that you are looking down on the world from above. Then the x-axis is directed out of the page toward the viewer, the y-axis points straight down, and the z-axis points toward the viewer's feet. When you are looking down on a plane, the x-axis is the plane's horizontal axis, the y-axis points toward the plane's nose, and the z-axis points downward. In summary, the plane is flying at 410 miles per hour southward with 10 degrees of movement.
bluejeans

Homework Statement

The course and ground speed of a plane are 70 degrees and 400 miles per hour respectively. There is a 60 mph wind blowing from the south. Find the approximate direction and air speed of the plane.

Homework Equations

net force = force1 + force2

The Attempt at a Solution

Net Direction = 70-60 = 10
Net Speed = 400- x = 10 x = 410
10 degrees and 410 speed. The teacher said that was wrong though, what am I doing wrong?:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
bluejeans said:
Net Direction = 70-60 = 10
Net Speed = 400- x = 10 x = 410
10 degrees and 410 speed. The teacher said that was wrong though, what am I doing wrong?:confused:

You're subtracting the speed of the find from the direction of the ground speed. That makes no sense.

you have ground velocity = air velocity + wind velocity. All the velocities here are vectors with magnitude and direction. Separate them in a northward and an eastward component.

The problem is that you aren't doing much right. It looks like you are just combining numbers at random. You need to express all of these velocities as vectors, split them into NS and EW components. You must have done something like that before. Then you can solve the vector equation ground velocity=wind velocity+air velocity.

I assume you can already use vectors (if not, I am not sure how I would do this question !)

The air speed is calculated with the plane as a frame of reference. It means you forget about the ground. Try to imagine you're flying this craft. Forgetting the wind, due to your ground speed, you feel a 400 mph wind in your face. It means that without wind, you would have a 400 mph airspeed. Now imagine you're in a helicopter, idle, but with wind. Forgetting the ground and the fact you're idle, you feel a 60 mph wind heading to the north, which gives you the feeling that you're flying at the same speed to the south, without wind, with your craft as a frame of reference.
So you feel 2 different speeds only due to the wind, forgetting the ground, one at 400 mph heading 70°, and one heading south at 60 mph.
You can represent these two speeds as vectors.

Try to find the coordinates of both vectors, and add them to find the net airspeed vector ! Then calculate its magnitude (the net airspeed) and the angle between it and the north (the net direction)

A tutorial in 2D vectors would help you out.

Ask your instructor for a reference on how to work with 2D vectors. For this problem you need to:

Express the wind velocity as a vector.
Express the aircraft velocity through the air as a vector.
Add the vectors.
Determine the magnitude of the resulting vector (pythagorean theorem)
Determine the direction of the resulting vector (arc tangent function)

Directions can be confusing in navigation problens because they are measured positive clockwise from north instead of positive counterclockwise from the x-axis of the conventional 2D Cartesian coordinate system.

1. How do I determine the course and speed of a plane?

To determine the course and speed of a plane, you will need to know the distance traveled and the time it took to travel that distance. Once you have these values, you can use the formula: Speed = Distance / Time. The result will give you the speed of the plane. To determine the course, you will also need to know the direction of travel and use a compass or other navigation tool to determine the angle of the course.

2. What units should I use for distance and time when solving plane course and speed problems?

The units used for distance and time will depend on the problem given. However, it is important to make sure that the units are consistent. For example, if the distance is given in miles, the time should also be in hours. If the distance is given in kilometers, the time should be in seconds. If necessary, you can convert the units to ensure consistency.

3. How do I calculate the wind speed and direction when solving a plane course and speed problem?

To calculate the wind speed and direction, you will need to know the speed and direction of the plane, as well as the ground speed and course of the plane. You can then use the formula: Wind Speed = Ground Speed - Plane Speed. The wind direction can be determined by subtracting the course of the plane from the course of the ground, as shown in the diagram below.

Wind Direction Diagram

4. Can I use the same formula for solving plane course and speed problems in different scenarios?

Yes, the basic formula for calculating speed is applicable in different scenarios. However, the values used in the formula may vary depending on the specific problem. For example, if the plane is flying against the wind, the plane's speed will be subtracted from the wind speed instead of the ground speed.

5. What other factors should I consider when solving plane course and speed problems?

Aside from distance, time, and speed, it is also important to consider factors such as air resistance, altitude, and wind direction. These factors can affect the overall speed and course of the plane. Additionally, it is important to double-check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy in your solution.