1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane waves: sign of Re(ε), Re(μ) in passive media, attenuation angle

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1
    Hello,
    I'm having some issues with plane waves propagating through a medium which is:
    - linear
    - spatially and temporally homogeneous
    - spatially non-dispersive
    - isotropic
    - temporally dispersive
    - passive

I know that permittivity, permeability and the k-vector are complex in temporally dispersive media.

There are different notations of the above-mentioned quantities, so I'm going to briefly introduce those which I'm used to:
    [tex]\epsilon (\omega) = \epsilon ' (\omega) - j \epsilon''(\omega)[/tex][tex]\mu (\omega) = \mu ' (\omega) - j \mu''(\omega)[/tex][tex]\underline{k} = \underline{\beta} - j \underline{\alpha}[/tex][tex]\underline{k} \cdot \underline{k} = \omega^2 \epsilon \mu[/tex]Where[tex]\epsilon'' , \mu'' \geq 0[/tex] in a passive medium and [tex]\alpha>0[/tex].

During class, my professor stated that, in the medium in question, the so-called "attenuation angle" (the angle between the attenuation vector alpha and the phase vector beta) is 90° or lower, because:[tex]\underline{\alpha} \cdot \underline{\beta} \geq0[/tex]
    The statement was derived from the following equation:
    [tex](\underline{\beta} - j \underline{\alpha}) (\underline{\beta} - j \underline{\alpha}) = \omega^2 \epsilon \mu [/tex]
    (Tearing Re[] and Im[] apart we have:)
    [PLAIN]http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/706/immagine1iz.png [Broken]

My professor said [tex]Im[\epsilon \mu] < 0[/tex] and my issue is right here.
    I carried out the product:
    [tex]\epsilon \mu = (\epsilon ' - j \epsilon'' ) (\mu' - j \mu'') = \epsilon' \mu' - j \epsilon' \mu'' - j \epsilon'' \mu' - \epsilon'' \mu''[/tex][tex]Im[\epsilon \mu] = - \epsilon' \mu'' - \epsilon'' \mu' [/tex]

Mu'' and epsilon'' are non-negative, but what about mu' and epsilon' ?
    Are they both positive in a passive medium?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2011 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

A magnetic response of a medium is equivalent to spatial dispersion as i omega E=rot B whence a material with mu different from mu_0 can always be described as a material with mu=mu_0 and a k dependent epsilon (that is, spatial dispersion), at least at non-zero frequency.
    However, I don't see that the answer to your question depends on the medium being non-dispersive. So if you write mu=mu_0, this implies that mu''=0.
    Epsilon will then be a function of k but still epsilon''>0. Hence epsilon'' mu' <0 which is all you need.

4. Sep 1, 2011 #3
    In that case, the inequality would be prooved. But my problem is: no approximation was made about epsilon and mu.

5. Sep 1, 2011 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  6. Sep 2, 2011 #5
    Well, that was some helpful pdf. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook