How Does an Airplane's Aluminum Antenna React to Earth's Magnetic Field?

• Thread starter divacute2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, an airplane with a 15 m aluminum antenna attached to its wing is traveling north at a speed of 75 m/s in a region with a net magnetic field of 6.0x10-5 T at an angle of 55 degrees from horizontal, with both a vertical and northward component. The magnetic force on electrons in the antenna is directed towards the south. The magnitude of the electric field generated in the antenna can be determined using the formula E = vB, where v is the velocity of the airplane and B is the magnetic field. The potential difference between the ends of the antenna can be calculated using the formula V = Ed, where d is the length of the antenna. The end of the antenna at the
divacute2
An airplane has an aluminum antenna attached to its wing that extends 15 m from wingtip to wingtip. The plan is traveling north at 75m/s in a region where Earth's magnetic field has both a vertical component and a northward component. The net maginetic field is at an angle of 55 degrees from horizontal and has a magnitude of 6.0x10-5 T.

a) Indicate the direction of the magnetic force on electrons in the antenna

b) Determine the magnitue of the electric field generated in the antenna

c) Determine the potential difference between the ends of the antenna

d) Indicate which end of the antenna is at higher potential

It is the first day we have started this and I am struggling can someone help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do not double post!

Well we are ready...but the blonde must show some attempt...:p

1. What specific concepts in physics do you need help with?

As a scientist, I am well-versed in various concepts in physics, so I can assist with a wide range of topics. Some common areas that people often need help with include classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. However, I am willing to help with any specific topic that you are struggling with.

2. Can you explain the concept in simple terms?

Absolutely! As a scientist, it is my job to communicate complex concepts in a way that is easy to understand. I can break down any physics concept into simpler terms and provide examples to help you better grasp the concept.

3. How can I apply physics concepts to real-life situations?

Physics is all around us, and understanding its principles can help us make sense of the world. I can provide real-life examples and applications of various physics concepts to help you see their practical uses.

4. What resources do you recommend for further studying?

There are many excellent resources available for studying physics, including textbooks, online lectures, and practice problems. I can recommend specific resources based on your learning style and the topics you need help with.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

Problem-solving is a crucial aspect of learning physics. I can provide tips and strategies for approaching and solving physics problems, as well as practice problems for you to work on to improve your skills.