1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me with this dielectrics problem

1. Apr 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A parallel plate capacitor having plates of area S and plate separation d, has capacitance C1 in air. When two dielectrics of different relative permittivities ( ε1=2 and ε2=4) are introduced between the two plates as shown in the figure, the capacitance becomes C2. the ratio C2/C1 is

2. Relevant equations
    C= ε0A/d

3. The attempt at a solution
    if we name the components 1,2,3,4 in clockwise manner,in the solution 1 and 2 are taken in series and 3 and 4 are taken in series and they both are connected parallel,can we also take 1 and 4 in parallel and 2 and 3 in parallel and they both are connected in series?in that case answer comes out to be 12/5 where have i gone wrong?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2016 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

No. Electric field between 1 and 2 (left half) is not same as the electric field between 3 and 4(left half).

4. Apr 19, 2016 #3
    sir 2 is not left half,1234 in clockwise direction

5. Apr 19, 2016 #4
    sir,do you mean to say that the potential difference between positive terminal and interface between 1 and 2 is not same as potential difference between positive terminal and interface between 3 and 4.

6. Apr 19, 2016 #5
    sir,do you mean to say that the potential difference between positive terminal and interface between 1 and 2 is not same as potential difference between positive terminal and interface between 3 and 4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted