Is Angular Momentum Conserved in Circular Motion?

In summary, the angular momentum of a bob rotating in a horizontal circle with an angular speed ω rad/s about a vertical support will change in direction but not in magnitude. This is because the torque produced by gravity, which acts at an angle of 90 degrees to the angular momentum, causes a change in direction but not in magnitude. Therefore, the angular momentum is conserved.
vijayramakrishnan

Homework Statement

A bob of mass m attached to an inextensible string of length l is suspended from a vertical support. The bob rotates in a horizontal circle with an angular speed ω rad/s about the vertical. About the point of suspension :

(1) angular momentum changes in direction but not in magnitude.

(2) angular momentum changes both in direction and magnitude.

(3) angular momentum is conserved.

(4) angular momentum changes in magnitude but not in direction[/B]

Homework Equations

torque = rXf
angular momentum = rXp

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
i know that answer is a and how it came but i feel it is answer c,because there is only one force tension, and the torque produced by it is zero about point of suspension as r is parallel to f,so shouldn't momentum be conserved?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it rotating in the air? Or is it kept on a surface, like, say, a table?
If it's the former, how can you neglect gravity? Please provide some more information.

Qwertywerty said:
If it's the former, how can you neglect gravity? Please provide some more information.
sir nothing is given about it,and it does not matter
vijayramakrishnan said:

Homework Statement

A bob of mass m attached to an inextensible string of length l is suspended from a vertical support. The bob rotates in a horizontal circle with an angular speed ω rad/s about the vertical. About the point of suspension :

(1) angular momentum changes in direction but not in magnitude.

(2) angular momentum changes both in direction and magnitude.

(3) angular momentum is conserved.

(4) angular momentum changes in magnitude but not in direction[/B]

Homework Equations

torque = rXf
angular momentum = rXp

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
i know that answer is a and how it came but i feel it is answer c,because there is only one force tension, and the torque produced by it is zero about point of suspension as r is parallel to f,so shouldn't momentum be conserved?

vijayramakrishnan said:
sir nothing is given about it,and it does not matter

Qwertywerty said:
sir, i think gravity acts on the system because it is given vertical support.i edited it sir.

Ok, so does gravity exert a torque?

Qwertywerty said:
Ok, so does gravity exert a torque?
sir it is not given,but i think it does ,else in a gravity free space how can something rotate in when the string is suspended from a vertical support

vijayramakrishnan said:
sir it is not given,but i think it does ,else in a gravity free space how can something rotate in when the string is suspended from a vertical support
It doesn't need to be given. Gravity exerts a force. A force has a magnitude, a direction and a line of action. If you pick some point not in that line of action, the force has a torque about that point.
In the present case, the mass is not directly below the point of suspension, therefore the force of gravity on the mass has a torque about the point of suspension.

haruspex said:
It doesn't need to be given. Gravity exerts a force. A force has a magnitude, a direction and a line of action. If you pick some point not in that line of action, the force has a torque about that point.
In the present case, the mass is not directly below the point of suspension, therefore the force of gravity on the mass has a torque about the point of suspension.
thank you very much sir for replying,so tension doesn't exert a torque but gravity does,so momentum is not conserved am i right sir?

vijayramakrishnan said:
thank you very much sir for replying,so tension doesn't exert a torque but gravity does,so momentum is not conserved am i right sir?
In respect of the point of suspension, yes. (You should always make the reference point/axis clear when discussing moments etc.)
What is the angle between:
- the angular momentum vector through the point of suspension, at some instant, and
- the torque due to gravity about the point of suspension?

haruspex said:
In respect of the point of suspension, yes. (You should always make the reference point/axis clear when discussing moments etc.)
What is the angle between:
- the angular momentum vector through the point of suspension, at some instant, and
- the torque due to gravity about the point of suspension?
i think it is 90 degree.

vijayramakrishnan said:
i think it is 90 degree.
Right. Do you see how that leads to one of the options?

haruspex said:
Right. Do you see how that leads to one of the options?
i think here work done by gravity is zero since gravity is perpendicular to velocity,so kinetic energy of the particle is constant so magnitude of angular momentum is constant but direction changes because there is a torque by gravity,am i right sir?

vijayramakrishnan said:
i think here work done by gravity is zero since gravity is perpendicular to velocity,so kinetic energy of the particle is constant so magnitude of angular momentum is constant but direction changes because there is a torque by gravity,am i right sir?
Yes, that's all correct. But what I was thinking of is that torque produces change of angular momentum, ##\vec \tau=\dot{\vec L}##. If the torque is perpendicular to the angular momentum then the dot product is zero, so ##\vec L.\dot{\vec L}=0##. Integrating, ##|\vec L|^2=c##, for some constant c.

haruspex said:
Yes, that's all correct. But what I was thinking of is that torque produces change of angular momentum, ##\vec \tau=\dot{\vec L}##. If the torque is perpendicular to the angular momentum then the dot product is zero, so ##\vec L.\dot{\vec L}=0##. Integrating, ##|\vec L|^2=c##, for some constant c.
haruspex said:
thank you very much sir for replying but can we integrate like that because i have not been taught integrating dot product of vectors,we write it as abcoθ and integrate each term.

1. What are the steps to solving a mechanics problem?

The steps to solving a mechanics problem include identifying the given information, drawing a free body diagram, applying relevant equations, and solving for the unknown variable. It is also important to check the units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.

2. How do I know which equations to use for a mechanics problem?

To determine which equations to use, you need to identify the type of problem you are solving (kinematics, dynamics, etc.) and the variables that are given and needed to solve the problem. Then, you can refer to a list of relevant equations and choose the one(s) that best fit the situation.

3. What should I do if I am stuck on a mechanics problem?

If you are stuck on a mechanics problem, it is helpful to go back and review the fundamentals of the topic. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller parts or seeking help from a tutor or peer. It is important to not get discouraged and keep practicing to improve your problem-solving skills.

4. How can I check my answer for a mechanics problem?

You can check your answer for a mechanics problem by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the given conditions. You can also use units to check for consistency and use common sense to make sure your answer makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving mechanics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving mechanics problems include using the wrong equation, not paying attention to units, and making calculation errors. It is also important to double check your work and make sure your answer makes sense in the context of the problem.