Calculating Delta S for a Monoatomic Gas System | Entropy Help

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entropy
In summary, In this process, the volume changes as well. You have to determine the original and final volumes from the ideal gas law.
stunner5000pt
Calculate delta S for the system when the state of 3.00 mol of a monoatmoic perfect gas for which [tex] C_{p,m} = \frac{5}{2} R [/tex] is changed from 298.15K and 1.00 atm to 398.15K and 5.00 atm.

Now [tex] \Delta S = n \ R ln \frac{V_{2}}{V_{1}} + n C_{v} ln \frac{T_{f}}{T_{i}} [/tex]

but when i do that i get an answer that is -36 J/K which is not right the answer given 22.1 J/K.

what am i doing wrong i know that Cp is for constnat pressure but in this case the pressure is not constant! Neither is the volume. (at least it doesn't say otherwise)

Physics news on Phys.org
stunner5000pt said:
Calculate delta S for the system when the state of 3.00 mol of a monoatmoic perfect gas for which [tex] C_{p,m} = \frac{5}{2} R [/tex] is changed from 298.15K and 1.00 atm to 398.15K and 5.00 atm.

Now [tex] \Delta S = n \ R ln \frac{V_{2}}{V_{1}} + n C_{v} ln \frac{T_{f}}{T_{i}} [/tex]

but when i do that i get an answer that is -36 J/K which is not right the answer given 22.1 J/K.

what am i doing wrong i know that Cp is for constnat pressure but in this case the pressure is not constant! Neither is the volume. (at least it doesn't say otherwise)

You're using the wrong formula.
1.Use the book from where u picked this formula to find the correct (for this case) formula.
2.If 1. is not an option,then u'll have to get is somehow using the formula which u already have (posted):
a) use Mandeleev-Clapeyron formula;
b) use Robert Mayer's law which gives the relation between the specific heats at constant pressure and constant volume and the gas constant R.
With these two,u can rewrite the formula already posted in terms of C_p and the ratio of pressures.

Yes,by the looks of it,it's a general process in which all 3 parameters vary.
Good luck!

stunner5000pt said:
Your formula is correct. What are you using for V1 and V2 (or V2/V1)? The key here is to recognize that in this process, the volume changes as well. You have to determine the original and final volumes from the ideal gas law. Also Cv = 3/2 R The Cpm is a bit of a red herring.

AM

i was under the impression that Cp - Cv = nR where n is the number of moles of hte gas being used.

but that yields a negative heat capactiy which is wronggggg

i got the right answer using the formula i posted

i have two textbooks which i am using - One is the Fundamentals of Physics by HRW and one is Physical Chemistry by Atkins and De Paula but i think the physics textbook is serving me more in this chemistry course I am taking!

stunner5000pt said:
i was under the impression that Cp - Cv = nR where n is the number of moles of hte gas being used.

but that yields a negative heat capactiy which is wronggggg
No. That is the correct relation and it gives the right answer. Cp= 5/2 nR; Cv = 3/2 nR; Cp-Cv = 2/2 nR = nR; where Cp and Cv are the specific heats of the gas samples in J/K (not per mole). Again, what volumes (V2/V1) are you using?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
No. That is the correct relation and it gives the right answer. Cp= 5/2 nR; Cv = 3/2 nR; Cp-Cv = 2/2 nR = nR; where Cp and Cv are the specific heats of the gas samples in J/K (not per mole). Again, what volumes (V2/V1) are you using?

AM

i have got the right answer using the formula i was just confused about the CP Cv relation it's much clearer now thank you

1. What is entropy and why is it important?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In science, it is often used to describe the tendency of a system to move towards a state of equilibrium. Entropy is important because it helps us understand the natural processes and changes that occur in our universe.

2. How is entropy related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in any closed system, the total entropy will always increase over time. This means that the disorder or randomness in a system will always tend to increase, and energy will naturally flow from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration. In other words, the second law of thermodynamics is closely related to the concept of entropy.

3. Can entropy be reversed or decreased?

In general, entropy cannot be reversed or decreased. However, there are some cases where the entropy of a system may decrease, such as when energy is added to a system to make it more ordered. However, this decrease in entropy is always accompanied by an even greater increase in entropy elsewhere, maintaining the overall increase of entropy in the universe.

4. How is entropy calculated and measured?

Entropy is typically calculated using statistical mechanics and thermodynamics equations, which take into account the energy, temperature, and number of particles in a system. In terms of measurement, entropy is often described as a unit of energy divided by temperature, with the unit of measurement being joules per Kelvin (J/K).

5. How does entropy relate to the arrow of time?

The arrow of time describes the direction in which time moves, from the past to the future. Entropy is closely related to this concept because it can only increase over time, never decrease. This means that the direction of increasing entropy aligns with the arrow of time, as the universe moves towards a state of maximum disorder and randomness.